Some tips to help you enjoy your recreation experience...
- Enjoy your National Forests but please remember: FIREWORKS are not allowed on the National Forest.
- Winter brings snow to the high country. Please be AVALANCHE AWARE!
- When camping or picnicking, please keep your site clean; free from trash and food. Otherwise animals and insects are attracted to your site.
- Please practice Leave No Trace ethics... Bag your trash and take it home with you. Help us keep our forests clean and green by "Packing It Out!"
- Feel free to have a campfire (except on the Red Rock District AND except when fire restrictions are in effect) but ALWAYS be in attendance of your fire; when you leave, PUT IT OUT- COLD OUT! Put lots of water on it (about 5 gallons), mix and stir dirt in, then do it again until you can put your bare hand on the coals and they are cool to the touch! Putting your fire out can take awhile. Please start extinguishing it BEFORE you start packing up.
- Human Waste is a big problem when thousands of people converge on the Forest. Please see Leave No Trace - Dispose of Waste Properly for detailed instructions on handling this "delicate" situation.
Where do Recreation Fees go and how are they used?
Take a moment to view the latest Recreation Fee Accomplishment Report, which shows the revenue and expenditures, as well as how fees were put to good use!
Please keep motor vehicles on designated routes and areas. If you plan on camping, driving off-highway vehicles, hunting, or exploring the backcountry; please make sure you first get a free Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM) to know which roads are open to motor vehicle use. Know before you go.
The 2014 MVUM was released April 15, 2014. It replaces the 2013 MVUM and will remain in effect until superseded by next year’s MVUM. Click here to get the 2014 MVUM.
Sharing the trail with horses
Here’s a great resource on sharing trails with horses, mountain bikers, and hikers: “What a Horse Sees!” – a short film illustrating safe ways of passing horse and rider on the trail. Trailmeister.com
With your help, we can protect our natural resources for future generations.
- FIRE LOOKOUTS/CABINS OVERNIGHT
- HORSE CAMPING
- HORSEBACK RIDING
- WILDLIFE VIEWING
- WINTER SPORTS