People's Creek Recreation Area, located in the southeastern Ozark foothills of Missouri, is a great launchpad for boating, fishing, swimming, hiking or simply exploring the Wappapello Lake area.
Completed in 1941, Wappapello Lake provides an estimated $3.9 million in annual flood protection to agricultural lands and developed areas along the St. Francis River.
Wappapello Lake stretches 8,400 acres on 45,000 acres of public land. Lightly wooded shorelines add shade to the scenic landscape.
People's Creek is ideally suited for swimming and boating activities. The lake is home to some of Missouri's most sought after game fish, including largemouth bass, crappie, bluegill, white bass and channel catfish. Hunters can find game like white-tailed deer, quail, doves and rabbits.
The day-use portion of People's Creek includes a two-lane boat ramp with loading dock, an accessible fishing pier, swimming beach and large picnic shelter.
The campground portion has an upper and lower campground. The lower area offers 38 sites with 50-amp electric and water hookups. The upper area has 19 full-service campsites with 50-amp electric, water and sewer hookups.
Explore Lake Wappapello State Park or hike the 33-mile Ozark Trail, which begins just south of Sam A. Baker State Park and winds along the west side of the St. Francis River and Wappapello Lake.
10992 HIGHWAY T
WAPPAPELLO MO 63966-9603
Phone Number:Information: (573)222-8234
; Project Office (573) 222-8562; Park Ranger (573) 778-5404.
The events listed here are not intended to be an all inclusive list. Please contact the park for further details.
- 35th Annual Black Powder Rendezvous: This is the longest consecutive rendezvous in the state of Missouri and it is held in the Greenville Recreation Area. There will be crafts, demonstrations, shooting competitions, traders and food for all representing the mid 1800's time period. Free to attend. from Apr 20 2013 to Apr 21 2013
- National Drag Boat Races: This event will be held at the Redman Creek Recreation Day Use Area cove pending an approved permit. from May 18 2013 to May 19 2013
- Kids Outdoor Fun Day: Many activities will be happening during this half day celebration. Children's games and information booths will be located at the Lost Creek Recreation Area off CR 523. This event includes not only fishing activities, but also archery and pellet gun shooting. Free to attend on Jun 15 2013
- Ranger Willie's Wet and Wild Water Fest: A variety of family oriented water safety games and activities such as tug of war, PFD fashion show, O.H.I.O. Challenge, canoe/inner tube racing, cardboard boat building/racing, sand sculpturing and much more will be held at the Redman Creek Beach Area. Free to attend on Jul 06 2013
- 4th Annual Classic Amphibious Triathlon (ACAT): This event is held on the 4th Saturday in August at the Redman Creek Recreation Area. It consists of swimming, cycling, and running. Participants can be individuals or teams with various age categories. This sanctioned event is done in partnership with the SEMO Regional Water Safety Council. on Aug 24 2013
- Annual 25 Mile Labor Day Weekend Yard Sale: During this holiday weekend, the community pulls together by conducting a 25 mile stretch yard sale Friday through Monday along State Highway T and D at Wappapello Lake. Free setup is allowed on the grounds of the Bill Emerson Memorial Visitor Center via a Special Use Permit. from Aug 30 2013 to Sep 02 2013
- Wappapello Outdoors Opportunity for Disabled Sportsman (W.O.O.D.S.): This event held at Redman Creek Recreation Area consists of a variety of recreational activities for the mentally and physically challenged. Examples are: boat rides, fishing, archery and pellet shoot, dutch oven cooking, etc... Free to attend on Sep 14 2013
- Old Greenville Days: Living history of the early 1900's. This event held at the Greenville Recreation Area consists of arts/crafts, rendezvous living history, live musical entertainment (bluegrass, country, gospel, clogging, etc.) and food. Free to attend from Sep 21 2013 to Sep 22 2013
- National Public Lands Day (NPLD): Groups, organizations and individuals volunteer to help conduct trail maintenance and cleanup along the shoreline and designated roadways at Wappapello Lake. Check in at the Redman Creek Recreation Area. Free to attend on Sep 28 2013
- Annual Mobility Impaired Deer Hunt: Qualified mobility impaired individuals may put in an application for a drawing to be considered for this hunt. from Oct 19 2013 to Oct 20 2013
- Festival of Lights Auto Tour: This Tour is held in the Redman Creek East Campground. Businesses, groups, organizations and individuals are encouraged to decorate a campsite. Campsite setup and tour is free. from Nov 29 2013 to Dec 29 2013