Fir Top Campground is located alongside the scenic Jackson Meadow Reservoir, in the Tahoe National Forest. The location, part of the Woodcamp Recreation Area, makes a great base camp for a wide range of recreational activities available in the surrounding area, including boating, fishing, hiking and hunting.
Jackson Meadow Reservoir is situated in a rolling forested valley, where visitors are awarded beautiful views of the Sierra Crest and English Mountain. The campground lies on the western shore in a forest of pine and fir trees.
The reservoir offers excellent opportunities for boating, canoeing, water skiing, swimming and fishing. Anglers will find rainbow and brown trout. A boat ramp and designated swim beach are located within the recreation area.
A half-mile interpretive nature trail wanders through the adjacent Woodcamp Campground. A portion of the Pacific Crest Trail meanders along the east side of the lake. Hunting and biking are popular activities in the surrounding area.
The campground offers single-family campsites, each equipped with a picnic table and campfire ring. Flush toilets and drinking water are provided.
A camp store is within walking distance of the campground. A variety of camping and fishing supplies, ice, groceries and souvenirs are available there.
Activities and Amenities
- Beach Access
- Boat Ramp
- Campfire Rings
- Drinking Water
- Firewood Vendor
- Flush Toilets
- Food Storage Locker
- General Store
- Lake Access
- Paved Parking Spurs
- Paved Roads
- RV Parking
|Within 10 Miles|
- Dump Station
- Mountain Biking
- Water Skiing
- Wildlife Viewing
Know Before You Go
- In accordance with standard industry practices, Tahoe Recreation will be assessing a $5 additional vehicle fee on the 'second vehicle' in each single family campsite, and on the 'third and fourth vehicle' in any double family campsite, provided these vehicles are not joined to the first vehicle by a hitch and towed onto the site. In the case of motorcycles, the first two are considered to be one vehicle and the third and fourth are also considered to be one vehicle. No additional vehicle fees are collected for bicycles.
- Bears frequent the area; all food must be kept in approved containers
- An additional $2 per day fee is charged for reservations during Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day weekends
- Utility hookups, showers, telephones and cell phone service are not available at the campground
- No cell service or telephones available
- Fire restrictions may be imposed at any time due to hot, dry weather conditions, at which time campfires and charcoal fires may not be allowed. For current fire conditions or weather closures contact the Sierraville Ranger District (530) 994-3401 (voice), (530) 994-3521 (TDD).
- This facility is operated by Tahoe Recreation, doing business as California Land Management and comments are welcome; forms are available from campground hosts or online
- Click here for more information on the Tahoe National Forest
- Don't Move Firewood: Protect California's forests from tree-killing pests by buying your firewood locally and burning it on-site. For more information visit firewood.ca.gov.
- Please follow directions to the campground as listed; do not rely on your GPS.
Getting There:GPS Info. (Latitude, Longitude):
Take Interstate 80 to the Truckee/Highway 89 North exit. Follow Highway 89 north toward Sierraville for 17 miles, to the Jackson Meadows turnoff. Travel west on Forest Road 07 for 18 miles to the Jackson Meadows Reservoir. Proceed across the dam and continue along the paved/gravel road for approximately four miles, to the campground.
FIR TOP CAMPGROUND