Mt. Whitney- Inyo National Forest, Wilderness Permits
A $6.00 non-refundable Transaction Fee is required for each lottery application or permit reservation. The Transaction Fees are used to finance the on-line reservation system.
A per person reservation fee is charged for your group when making a wilderness permit reservation for entry on Inyo National Forest trails. The fee is $15.00 per person for trips entering the Whitney Zone. These fees are used to finance the on-the-ground management of Inyo National Forest Wilderness Areas.
Mt. Whitney Lottery:
Lottery applications are accepted from February 1 to March 15. Any remaining space after the lottery can be reserved.
- 100% of space for Day Use and Overnight Permits can be reserved.
- Space is not saved for walk in permits; however some space from cancelations may be available just before the date.
- There is no wait list for cancelations.
- 1 or 2 days before your trip you must pick up your permit or confirm your group size to hold the permit for late arrival.
- Must pick up permit at the Eastern Sierra InterAgency Visitor Center in Lone Pine.
Changes and Cancellations Policy
Reservations are not for re-sale and cannot be transferred to other groups or to future years.
The $6.00 transaction fee and the $15 per person reservation fee are non-refundable for all Mt. Whitney reservations.
No Show Policy:
You must confirm your group size or pick up your permit before the no show deadline or the reservation will be canceled. Reservations that no show are not entitled to a refund. Please cancel your reservation if you are unable to use it as this opens quota space for others.
- Mt Whitney Zone Day Use reservation deadline is noon on the day before the entry date.
- Overnight Use deadline is 10 am on the entry date.
Changes to a reservation are allowed up until 2 days in advance of your entry date. Please confirm your group size and reservation one or two weeks before your trip.
- Change in the number of people while keeping the same entry date and permit type: If you are increasing your party size, a $15.00/person reservation fee will apply.
Make changes, confirm group size or cancel reservations through the web at Recreation.gov or call the wilderness permit office for Inyo National Forest for additional information and reservation assistance. (760) 873-2483
- Change in the date of entry or change between Day Use and Overnight permit type: If space is available, cancel your current reservation and reserve the desired trip. You will pay new reservation and transaction fees.