Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, MN

Facility Rates

Reservation Fees:

A $6.00 non-refundable reservation fee is required for each reserved permit.

Use Fees:

A per person user fee is charged for your group when reserving an Overnight Permit for entries from 1st of May to 30th September each year.

Person Type Fee Rate
Adult $16.00
Child/Youth $8.00
Interagency Senior Pass $8.00
Interagency Access Pass $8.00
Interagency Youth Access Pass $4.00

Seasonal Fee Cards:

Seasonal Fee Cards may be purchased in person after May 1 from any Superior National Forest District Office. This card fulfills the fee requirements for the season but does not eliminate the need for obtaining a BWCAW permit and paying the $6 non-refundable reservation fee.

Person Type Seasonal Fee
Adult $64.00
Child/Youth $32.00
Interagency Senior Pass $32.00
Interagency Access Pass $32.00
Interagency Youth Access Pass $16.00
** Please note that the discounted prices for the seasonal fee cards are only applied at the time of issuing the permit. When making reservations, you will pay for a minimum of 2 adult overnight user fees. Refunds will be applied at the time of permit issuance. ** All cards (Interagency Senior/Access Pass Holders, or Seasonal) must be presented at the time of permit pickup to receive a discount, otherwise the full fee will be charged.


The BWCAW lottery was initiated well over a decade ago in order to fairly distribute available quotas for entry dates and entry points where demand exceeds availability. The permit reservation process starts each year when lottery applications for permit reservations may be submitted via from December 1st through January 15th. No lottery application fee will be charged when submitting a lottery application. If you are successful in reserving a permit from the lottery, you will be charged a $6.00 non-refundable reservation fee and overnight user fees based on the group size you have specified on the lottery application.
Discover and reserve camping, lodging, permits, tours and more at America's parks, forests, monuments and other public lands with Learn more about us, or about any of our agency partners below:
Bureau of Land Management Federal Highway Administration National Oceanic Atmosphere Administration Smithsonian Institution USDA Forest Service US Army Corps of Engineers US Fish and Wildlife Service National Park Service Bureau of Engraving and Printing Tennessee Valley Authority Bureau of Reclamation National Archives Records Administration