Can I buy Federal land?

Most Federal agencies have stewardship responsibities for public lands that they administer. Occasionally, a determination is made that some lands are no longer needed to meet the missions and needs of a project. For most of the Federal Government, the General Services Administration (GSA) takes care of land transfers. The land is first offered to other Federal agencies and states and then to the general public. The GSA also handles selling surplus federal buildings and equipment.

The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) will occasionally sell land, but at a fair market price.

For more information, see these links:

GSA Land and Property Disposal

BLM Land Sales

photo of Nevada Desert National Wildlife Refuge
Photo Credit: US Fish and Wildlife Service
Desert Refuge in Nevada
Discover and reserve camping, lodging, permits, tours and more at America's parks, forests, monuments and other public lands with Learn more about us, or about any of our agency partners below:
Bureau of Land Management Federal Highway Administration National Oceanic Atmosphere Administration Smithsonian Institution USDA Forest Service US Army Corps of Engineers US Fish and Wildlife Service National Park Service Bureau of Engraving and Printing Tennessee Valley Authority Bureau of Reclamation National Archives Records Administration