DENALI NATIONAL PARK AND ROAD LOTTERY RULES AND REGULATIONS:
- Only vehicles with a valid Road Lottery permit will be allowed to travel beyond mile 15 of the park road
- Permits are transferable. If you are transferring your Road Lottery permit to someone else, please provide the transferee a letter that includes your name, date for which you were drawn for a permit and the name of the person you that will be picking up the permit. This letter will need to be presented at the Wilderness Access Center in order to pick up the Road Lottery permit.
Group Size and Vehicle limits:
- There is not an established group size limit for Road Lottery. However, every passenger in the vehicle must wear a seatbelt.
- The Park Road beyond Teklanika Campground narrows significantly. Therefore, vehicles traveling the Park Road during Road Lottery must be within the following maximum dimensions: 22' long x 8' wide x 12' high. This is inclusive of side mirrors and bumpers. Oversize traffic (e.g., RVs larger than those dimensions) may only travel beyond Savage River (Mile 15) if they have a reservation for Teklanika River Campground.
- Road Lottery winners are encouraged to leave pets at home as it will be more comfortable for them. If you do bring your pet please be aware that they must be secured in a vehicle, with the windows rolled up if barking. Pets may be walked only on the Park Road or campground roads and must be restrained on a leash (6' or shorter).
- Camping and overnight sleeping is allowed only in designated campgrounds that are open- Riley Creek, Savage River, and Teklanika Campgrounds. Advance reservations are recommended. Please call 800-622-7275 or 907-272-7275. Reservations can also be made online at www.reservedenali.com.
- When you stop to view scenery or wildlife, pull over to a safe location and do not obstruct traffic. Be aware that shoulders are often soft.
- To view wildlife, stay on the road at your vehicle. Leaving your vehicle to view wildlife may cause animals to move away and spoil other visitors opportunities to see them.
- If any animal changes its behavior due to your presence, you are too close.
Denali Road Lottery Rules and other information:
- Only one entry per person.
- 400 names are drawn for each of the four days of the lottery (i.e., 1600 names total are drawn). Odds of winning are dependent on the number of entrants, but typically are around 1-in-6 or -7.
- All applicants have equal chance of winning.
- The road-travel permit that winners purchase allows them to drive the Park Road in their own vehicle on their assigned date, from 6am - midnight.
- Access into the park is weather-dependent. In some years, early season snow can limit traffic to the first 30, or even just the first 3, miles of the Park Road.
- The Park Road beyond Teklanika Campground narrows significantly. Therefore, vehicles traveling the Park Road during Road Lottery must be within the following maximum dimensions: 22' long x 8' wide x 12' high. This is inclusive of side mirrors and bumpers, and is strictly enforced at the Savage River Check station (mile 15) - oversize traffic (e.g., RVs larger than those dimensions) must be bound for Teklanika Campground, and have their campground permit in hand, to travel beyond Savage River.
- Road Lottery winners are not guaranteed a campground in the park. Those wishing to camp within the park must make separate reservations.