FAQs - Cancelling Reservations
Q. Can I cancel my reservation online?
A. Yes. Sign in to find a list of your current reservations, then click 'See Detail' for the reservation you wish to cancel. That will take you to the Reservation Detail page. Click 'Cancel Reservation' to begin your online cancellation.
Q. Are there fees for cancelling reservations?
A. Yes. Whether cancelling online or by phone, there will be a cancellation fee. The closer to your arrival date you cancel, the less money you will receive back as a refund.For cancellation policy details, see the 'Fees & Cancellation Policies' section of this website.
Q. Can I cancel my reservations by sending Recreation.gov an email?
A. No. Unfortunately we are unable to cancel reservations via email requests. If you made your reservation online, you may cancel it online on the Current Reservations page.
Q. I made a reservation on the web site and then cancelled it. On my confirmation letter statement, it appears that I was billed twice?
A. In the case that a reservation was charged to your credit card and then cancelled and credited back to your card, the invoice statement will appear as follows:
|Payment Date||Amount||Payment Method||Receipt||Comments|
Q. Does Receation.gov have a campground waiting list that I can be put on to reserve my favorite site?
A. No. Receation.gov does not maintain a waiting list for cancellations. When a cancellation is made on our web site or call center, the reserved site is placed back in the system to be reserved again. To find out the availability of a campsite continue to view the availability online or contact our call centers to get continual updates. Please use the contact us page.
Q. I'm having problems cancelling a reservation that is 13 months from now.
A. To ensure fairness for all Recreation.gov customers, reservations with departure dates outside the 6 or 12 month booking window cannot be changed or cancelled until 18 days after the reservation is made.
• Camping/Day Use: A $10.00 service fee will apply if you change or cancel your reservation (including Campsites, Cabins, Group Facilities, etc.)
• Cancellations and changes can be made either at Recreation.gov or by calling our Call Center.
This $10.00 cancellation fee will be deducted from the amount of the refund given to the customer.
Q. What is the latest that I can cancel my reservation?
A. Late cancellations are those cancelled after 12:00 midnight (Eastern Time) two days before arrival.
• Individual Campsites: If an individual cancels a reservation the day before or on the day of arrival they will be charged a$10.00 service fee and will also forfeit the first night’s use fee (not to exceed the total paid for the original reservation). Cancellations for a single night's reservation will forfeit the entire use fee but no cancellation fee will apply.
• Cabins/Lookouts: Customers will be charged a $10.00 cancellation fee and forfeit the first night's use fee if a cabin or lookout reservation is cancelled within 14 days of the scheduled arrival date.
• Group Facility: If a customer cancels a group overnight facility reservation within 14 days of the scheduled arrival date they will be charged the $10.00 service fee and forfeit the first night's use fee. Cancellations for a single night's use will not be assessed a service fee.
If a customer cancels a group day use facility reservation within 14 days of the scheduled arrival date, they will forfeit the total day use fee with no service fee charge.
Q. I was unable to make my reservation at the last minute. What are the consequences?
A. Reserved campsites and group overnight facilities will be held until check-out time on the day following your scheduled arrival. Group day use facilities will be held until check-in time on your scheduled arrival date.
No-shows, early departures, or cancellations after the scheduled arrival date are not entitled to a refund. Cancellations for a single night's use reservation will forfeit the entire use fee but no cancellation fee will apply.
Camping/Day Use: If a customer does not arrive at the campground or group facility by check-out time the day after arrival, does not cancel the reservation by the times listed under “Late Cancellations" above, he or she will be assessed a $20.00 service fee and forfeit the first night use fee the total day use fee.
Q. What are the various refunds that are available to me?
A. They are as follows:Refunds: Refunds must be requested no later than 14 days after your scheduled departure date.
• Reservation Fee: For some facilities an additional reservation fee is charged. This additional fee is $10.00 for call center reservations and $9.00 for Internet reservations Reservation fees are NON-REFUNDABLE.
• Refunds for Bankcard Purchases: Refunds for bankcard payments will be issued as a credit to the original bankcard. Please note the charge on your bankcard statement will read "Recreation.gov 888-448-1474".
• Refunds for Check or Cash Purchases: Refunds for Recreation.gov payments made by check or money order, and cash payments at selected campgrounds will be issued a check refund. A refund will be processed within 30 days of receipt and approval. Please Note! Refund requests made during or after departure can only be processed when approved by the facility management staff based upon local policy.
• Refunds for Emergency Closures: In the event of an emergency closure, Recreation.gov will attempt to notify users and offer alternate dates and sites (as appropriate). If this is not possible, reservations will be cancelled and all fees paid will be refunded.