Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (Reservations), MN

31 From Farm Lake (op,om)

Permit Availability

Entrance Description

Method of travel is paddle or motor. Motor use OR possession on South Farm Lake requires an overnight motor permit (25 h.p. maximum). Paddlers access North Kawishiwi from Farm Lake. Contact the Kawishiwi Ranger Station in Ely at 218-365-7561.

Know Before You Go:

25 horse power on South Farm Lake. Paddle only on Kawishiwi River.


25 horse power on South Farm Lake. Paddle only on Kawishiwi River.

REMINDER: State law requires valid watercraft license/registration in order to operate in Minnesota. This requirement includes non-motorized watercraft over nine feet in length, such as canoes and kayaks.


A: Available for online reservation (click to book entry date)
L: Accepting Lottery Application (click to apply for the lottery)
W: Available at the Facility
R: Reserved
C: Closed
X: Not available
Discover and reserve camping, lodging, permits, tours and more at America's parks, forests, monuments and other public lands with Learn more about us, or about any of our agency partners below:
Bureau of Land Management Federal Highway Administration National Oceanic Atmosphere Administration Smithsonian Institution USDA Forest Service US Army Corps of Engineers US Fish and Wildlife Service National Park Service Bureau of Engraving and Printing Tennessee Valley Authority Bureau of Reclamation National Archives Records Administration