Lee Vining Area Trails

Inyo National Forest - Wilderness Permits, CA

Bloody Canyon AA03


This trail does not connect to the John Muir Trail.

ICE and SNOW ALERT- Mountain elevations in this area traditionally have ice and snow until late June or early July.

Permit Availability

Entrance Description

This route was used to cross the Sierras before wagon roads were built and is named for the injuries to stock that made this rugged crossing. This trail is not recommended for stock. The trail climbs over a ridge to view Walker Lake and goes up Bloody Canyon past Lower and Upper Sardine Lakes. At the head of the canyon the trail crosses Mono Pass into Yosemite National Park and continues toward the Kuna Crest or Parker Pass Creek areas of the park.

Know Before You Go:


Bloody Canyon Area: Special approval is required for commercial use. Stock is not recommended beyond Lower Sardine Lake.

  • No campfires at Lower Sardine Lake; and no campfires above 10,000 ft., look at USFS Webpage for campfire restriction maps.
  • Food and refuse must be stored so that animals cannot get into the food or trash.
  • This is not the Mono Pass trail that provides access to Pioneer Basin and the Recesses in the Rock Creek and Little Lakes Valley area.
  • This area is near Bighorn Sheep habitat. Use of pack goats is not advised in order to protect the health of the wild sheep
  • Yosemite wilderness regulations apply when visiting the National Park. (includes no pets; no camping in Parker Canyon)
  • Deadline: Reservation will be canceled unless the permit pick up instructions are completed before the deadline. Instructions are in the confirmation letter.
  • Only the group leader or alternate leader may pick up the permit; the person picking up the permit must be going on the wilderness trip.
  • BE SURE YOUR DATES AND TRAIL ARE CORRECT - The entire group must start on the trail on the entry date listed. Reservations cannot be changed or transferred.

USFS Webpage for: Bloody Canyon.


A: Available for online reservation (click to book entry date)
L: Accepting Lottery Application (click to apply for the lottery)
W: Available at the Facility
R: Reserved
C: Closed
X: Not available
Discover and reserve camping, lodging, permits, tours and more at America's parks, forests, monuments and other public lands with Learn more about us, or about any of our agency partners below:
Bureau of Land Management Federal Highway Administration National Oceanic Atmosphere Administration Smithsonian Institution USDA Forest Service US Army Corps of Engineers US Fish and Wildlife Service National Park Service Bureau of Engraving and Printing Tennessee Valley Authority Bureau of Reclamation National Archives Records Administration