Come explore the beautiful Sweet Home Ranger District of the Willamette National Forest! Led by professionals, the Sweet Home Heritage Hikes offer incredible opportunities to learn about the plants, animals, geology and cultural history of the Sweet Home area, located on the edges of the Willamette Valley and within the spectacular Cascade Mountains. Sweet Home Heritage Hikes will take you to the out-of-the-way spots with a friendly group to explore, learn and have a wonderful time while coming to appreciate why the Sweet Home area is a such a special place.
Whether you're a budding naturalist or a long-time explorer of Pacific Northwest, Sweet Home Heritage Hikes will be an experience you will long remember.
All hikes/tours meet at the Sweet Home Ranger District Office and travel to the forest where the hike/tour begins. A restroom is available at the office, as well as maps and other small souvenirs. Sweet Home is a full service community with restaurants, cafes and gas stations. Quick List of Hikes and Days Offered. Click on Tour List for more information.
- May 4 & Oct 12 2013 - General Outdoor Preparedness
- May 18 2013 - Backpacking Basics - Classroom Session
- May 31 2013 - Early Mountain Wildflowers and Late Lichens and Mosses
- Jun 14 2013 - Santiam Wagon Road - Latiwi Creek to Mountian House
- Jun 20 & Sep 5 2013 - Cascadia Cave
- Jun 15 & Aug 23 & Oct 4 2013 - Art in the Great Outdoors
- Jun 28 2013 - Gordon Meadows Wildflower Hike
- Jul 3 2013 - Iron Mountain and Cone Peak Heritage Hike
- Jul 5 2013 - Iron Mountian and Cone Peak Wildflower Hike
- Jul 19 2013 - Three Pyramids Wildflower Hike
- Aug 1 2013 - Santiam Wagon Road - Tombstone Pass to Latiwi Creek via Sevenmile Hill
- Aug 6 2013 - Civilian and Youth Conservation Corps Outing
- Aug 9 2013 - Streamside Rock Hounding
- Aug 15 2013 - Santiam Wagon Road - Fish Lake to Lost Prairie
- Aug 29 2013 - Santiam Wagon Road Hike - Eno Road to Clear Lake
- Aug 30 2013 - Berry Picking Bonanza
- Sep 19 2013 - Moon Rise on Iron Mountain
- Sep 21 2013 - Backpacking Basics - Field Class
- Oct 11 2013 - Fall Colors & Seasonal Changes Hike
- Oct 18 2013 - Fall Mushroom Hike - Edibles & Poisonous!
- Oct 25 2013 - Fall Edible Mushrooms
- Nov 1 2013 - Edible Mushroom Hike
- Dec 7 2013 - Swag and Wreath Making
- Mar 7 2014 - Family Snowshoe Adventure in the Cascade
- Mar 28 2014 - Winter Snowshoe Hike on Santiam Pass
Know Before You Go:
Hikes leave promptly from the ranger station at designated time. Come prepared with all food and water necessary to be out all day. Please consider bringing the following items to ensure you have an enjoyable experience:
water bottle with extra water
hiking boots, day pack, hiking stick
small first aid kit
any required medications
bee or hornet sting kit (if allergic)
Getting There:The Sweet Home Ranger District Office is located at 4431 Highway 20, Sweet Home, OR 97386.
From I-5, take Exit 228 and follow Highway 20 east 25 miles to Sweet Home, OR. The station will be on the right on the east end of town.
From Sisters, OR, travel west on 20/126 for 29 miles. When 20/126 split, stay on Highway 20 and travel 42 miles to the district office on the left.
4431 Highway 20
Sweet Home OR 97386
Phone Number:Information: (541)367-5168