Spring is the time for new beginnings and sowing the seeds of opportunity. Seize the spirit of the season and grow this spring!
Now is the ideal time to plant the seeds to grow your curiosity, sense of adventure, family bonds, connection to nature, and so much more. Recreation.gov is here to help by providing recommendations for different ways you can grow this spring through incredible family trips, community involvement, new hobbies, outdoor activities, and other memorable experiences.
Recreation.gov is your source for planning and reserving outdoor adventures and experiences at national parks, forests, and other federal recreation sites across the country.
Just like your local garden center offers a variety of seeds, gardening tools, planting guides, and everything else you need to grow your garden, Recreation.gov is your one-stop shop for everything you need to find incredible experiences, plan the details, and grow this spring! Instead of gardening tools and planting guides though, we offer trip recommendations, travel planning tips, and reservations for campgrounds, tickets and tours, permits, and other experiences at thousands of locations across the country. We've partnered with over a dozen federal agencies to bring you information and reservations for tent camping, RVing, backcountry adventures, historical and cultural tours, whitewater rafting, hunting and fishing, boating, and so much more!
Now that we've covered the types of experiences you'll find on the site, let's get down to how to find the ideal adventure for you, plant the seeds by planning your next trip, and grow this spring through memorable experiences and activities!
1) Search Recreation.gov: Whether you're looking for nearby campgrounds to grow you connection to nature or kid-friendly locations to grow your family bonds with a summer camping trip, the search bar on our homepage is the best place to find it. If you know the name of the location, just enter the national park, national forest, or other federal recreation site to see what's available. You can also search for activities using keywords such as “camping”, “RVing”, or “rafting.” To find places nearby or in activities in a specific area, type the name of a city or state or use a phrase like "camping near Los Angeles."
2) Buy a Pass: Want to grow your curiosity with a nature hike to find local bird species or grow your emotional and mental well-being with daily tranquil walks in the woods? There's a pass for whatever interest, passion, or other area you're looking to grow this spring. Recreation.gov offers a variety of passes that help cover entrance, standard amenity, and special usage fees for single trips or multiple visits to federal recreation sites across the country.
3) Plan a Road Trip: Grow your sense of adventure by hitting the open road and taking in all the natural wonders and experiences across our great country. Our custom trip builder tool helps you map out cross-country road trip. Choose your dates and the starting and ending points for the trip, then we'll help you fill in the details with points of interest, camping and lodging options, guided activities, and other stops along the way. Chart the course then book your perfect trip. You can also use our pre-built itineraries for popular routes across the country.
4) Enter a Lottery: With a variety of permits and tickets available, lotteries provide you the chance to participate in high-demand outdoor adventures and unique experiences that can grow everything from your sense of adventure by kayaking through a red rock canyon to your connection with nature by watching synchronous fireflies dance in the night sky. The lottery process helps manage access and limit the number of visitors to preserve the natural landscape, reduce our footprint, and enhance the experience.
5) Find Trip Inspiration: Not sure where to go or how to grow? Check out our library of articles for recommendations on the best family trips to take this summer, tips for top places to see wildlife and connect with nature, advice for first-time campers and RVers, travel planning guides for hidden gem campgrounds, and so much more!
6) Download Our App: Grow your spontaneity with a last minute trip or grow your sense of adventure at the touch of a button. From booking a weekend camping trip to finding educational and explorational tours, the Recreation.gov app helps you find and reserve campsites and activities on-the-go, review location details for your trips, and quickly access information on past and upcoming reservations.
7) Sign Up for Tips and Recommendations: If you're still in the need for ideas to plant the seeds for growth this spring, subscribe to our Recreation.gov mailing list to have trip planning guides, travel recommendations, visitor stories, and other insider insights delivered right to your inbox. You’ll find the sign-up form on the bottom of the homepage. Subscribing only requires your email and zip code, and we never share your information.
With over 3,600 federal recreation facilities and experiences at more than 103,000 individual reservable locations, we're confident that you'll find experiences that help grow your passions and #BringHomeaStory with memories that last well beyond this spring!
The flowers of tomorrow are the seeds of yesterday, so start planting the seeds of adventure and grow this spring with Recreation.gov!