Every end marks a new beginning, and the new year presents the chance to make the most of a fresh start. Resolve to make 2020 your year of experiences!
Opportunity doesn't wait, and neither should you. Whether it's a first camping trip with the kids, cross-country road trip with friends, stepping outside your comfort zone, or finally taking that dream vacation, Recreation.gov can help you make 2020 a year of outdoor adventures and new experiences.
The year is a blank book, and the pen is in your hands. Get out there, #BringHomeaStory with memorable trips and experiences, and fill those pages. Let Recreation.gov help you plan more of the outdoor adventures you enjoy, and the ones you’ve been waiting to try!
Recreation.gov is your source for outdoor adventures and experiences at national parks, forests, and other federal recreation sites across the country!
Think of us as your one-stop shop - a place with everything you need to dream up your next adventure, plan the details, and make this year one you'll never forget. We're here to help you make the most of this year with travel planning guides, trip recommendations, and access to experiences at thousands of locations across the country. We've partnered with over a dozen federal agencies to bring you information and reservations for tent camping, RVing, backcountry adventures, historical and cultural tours, whitewater rafting, hunting and fishing, boating, and so much more!
Now that we've covered what it is you'll find on our site, let's get down to how to make 2020 your year of experiences by planning your next trip. We know the term "recreation" is about as the vast as the great outdoors, so we've outlined some of the ways to use our homepage to find a range of recreation activities and plan an adventure:
1) Search Recreation.gov: Enter the name of a national park, forest, or other federal recreation site to see more details as well as camping, tickets, and permits at that location. You can also search for locations and activities near a city or in a particular state by typing the name of the city or state or using a phrase like "camping near Salt Lake City" for more specific results.
2) Buy a Pass: Plan ahead and purchase the right pass for your trip. There are a variety of passes on Recreation.gov that help cover entrance, standard amenity, and special usage fees at thousands of federal recreation sites across the country. Learn more about your options, and find the right pass for your trip.
3) Plan a Road Trip: Use our custom trip builder tool to map out a spring or summer vacation, dream getaway, or cross-country road trip. Choose your dates and the starting and ending points for the trip, then we'll help you fill in the details with points of interest, camping and lodging options, guided activities, and other stops along the way. Chart the course then book your own trip, or use our pre-built itineraries to travel popular routes across the country.
4) Enter a Lottery: Apply for the chance to participate in high-demand outdoor adventures and unique experiences like watching dazzling dancing fireflies, rafting mighty rivers, and hiking some of the most renowned trails in the country. The lottery process helps manage access to popular recreation opportunities by limiting the number of visitors to preserve and protect the natural landscape, reduce our footprint, and enhance the experience.
5) Explore the Homepage Map: Add a zip code, city, or just zoom in on any spot on the map to see camping, tours, permits, and points of interest in that area.
6) Find Trip Inspiration: Check out our library of articles on everything from the best times of year to book certain trips, tips for reservations and vacations at popular spots, guides for first-time campers and RVers, recommendations for hidden gem escapes and the top places for specific activities, and so much more!
7) Sign Up for Tips and Recommendations: Not ready to plan a trip yet, but want to stay in the loop and learn more about exciting experiences? Subscribe to our Recreation.gov mailing list to have trip planning guides, travel recommendations, visitor stories, and other insider insights delivered right to your inbox. You’ll find the sign-up form on the bottom of the homepage. Subscribing only requires your email and zip code, and we never share your information.
With over 3,500 federal recreation facilities and experiences at more than 100,000 individual reservable locations, we're confident that you'll not only find the ideal experience for you, but, more importantly, that you'll create lasting memories and #BringHomeaStory!