Cottonwood Lower Campground is located near Searchlight, Nevada, along Lake Mohave. It’s open year-round and features paved sites that can accommodate tents or RVs, along with tables, fire pits and/or grills. Restrooms and water spigots are located throughout the campsite. Temperatures usually surpass 100F (37C) degrees June-August. In May and September, daytime highs are around 90F (32C). October-April, temperatures are much cooler. Lows can dip to freezing temps December-February. The area averages 4 inches of rain each year. There is lush vegetation that provides shade.
Each campsite provides space for up to eight people with one camping unit, i.e., motor home or camp trailer. A maximum of two motorized vehicles, four motorcycles or combination thereof if towed or carried on or by a camper may occupy a site. Paved roads lead to each site, and the sites are asphalt. There are multiple water spigots and restrooms spread out throughout the campground. The restrooms have sinks and toilets. There are no showers. Accessible sites are available. An RV dump station and water refill station are located near the entrance to the area Cottonwood Cove area on the right.
• Site capacity maximum is eight persons and four tents or one camping unit (motorhome/camp trailer).
• Each site can have a maximum of two motorized vehicles, four motorcycles or a combination thereof if towed or carried on or by a camper.
• Motor vehicles must be parked in designated parking areas only and may not be driven onto the dirt or across irrigation ditches.
• The campground can accommodate RVs, but there are no hookups.
• Camping is limited to a total of 90 days within any consecutive 12-month period in the park.
• Camping is limited to 30 days within any consecutive 12-month period any developed campground.
• Quiet hours are 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. Please do not create or sustain unreasonable noise, including generators, during those hours.
• All trash must be disposed of in appropriate trash or recycling receptacles.
• Pets must be kept on a leash not to exceed 6-feet in length and should not be left unattended. Never leave your pet in a closed vehicle. Pet excrement must be disposed of in trash containers.
• Please do not feed wildlife. Wild animals can become dependent on handouts of food and lose their fear of humans. This is dangerous for the wildlife and you.
• Trees can provide refreshing shade and a windbreak for campers. It is illegal to cut or damage any tree in a national park.
• Fires are permitted in grills, fire rings, portable stoves, portable barbecues and portable fireplaces in all campgrounds.
• Fires should not be left unattended and must be completely extinguished with water, doused and stirred.
• Some first-come, first-served sites are available. Reservations are recommended to ensure you get a site.
• A campground host is available onsite to offer assistance.
Cottonwood Cove Lower Campground has lush vegetation that shades nearly every campsite. There is a mix of palm trees, oleanders, mature cottonwood trees and native vegetation that also helps provide privacy between sites. Wildlife in the area includes many species of birds and lizards along with antelope squirrels and the occasional coyote. Wildflowers are abundant in this area in the spring.
Searchlight, Nevada, is a small town with a big history. The Searchlight Museum shares the stories of the mining community, along with the town’s notable Academy Award winner, revolutionary pilot and Senate Majority Leader. The town also offers some restaurants, a library, a community center and casinos.
Cottonwood Cove is located right next to a picnic area with grills and a sandy beach along Lake Mohave. You can walk on over for a swim, and free loaner life jackets are available to borrow for the day. If you prefer to venture out onto the lake, there is a launch ramp next to the beach for your own boat, or you can rent one from the marina. The marina also has a café, store and motel for your friends who want to join your adventure but aren’t into camping.
Please have cancellations processed in the system three days in advance of your visit.
Lake Mead National Recreation Area Headquarters 601 Nevada Way Boulder City NV 89005
For campground inquiries, please call: 702-293-8906
Follow U.S. Highway 95 to Searchlight, Nevada. Turn onto Cottonwood Cove Road and follow it east for 14 miles. The campground is located near the lake on the left.