Mcmillan Woods Scout And Youth Group Campground
Gettysburg National Military Park
The Battle of Gettysburg was a turning point in the Civil War, the Union victory that ended General Robert E. Lee's second and most ambitious invasion of the North. Often referred to as the "High Water Mark of the Rebellion," Gettysburg was the Civil War's bloodiest battle and was also the inspiration for President Abraham Lincoln's immortal "Gettysburg Address." McMillan Woods Youth Campground is part of Gettysburg National Military Park, located in a wooded area just west of Seminary Ridge. It is a primitive, walk-in campground available to organized youth groups only (Scouts, schools, church youth groups). The campground is generally open from the weekend after Easter through the last weekend in October.
There are 10 campsites, each with two picnic tables and a fire ring. Sites accommodate from 15-35 people, depending on the site. Tents and dining canopies are the only shelters permitted. Camp stoves using propane or white gas are permitted. All wood fires must be contained within the fire ring. Provided are nine portable toilets and one handicapped unit, two potable water faucets, and trash and recycling receptacles. There are no shower facilities at the campground.
Notifications and Alerts
McMillan Group Campground is available for scout and other youth groups only. Family and individual camping is not available. Reservable camping is available at Catoctin Mountain Park, Maryland, approximately 24 miles (38 km) from Gettysburg. Private campgrounds are available locally in Gettysburg (check Destination Gettysburg).
Need to Know
- Camping is by reservation only; walk-ins not permitted.
- Campground open for Scout groups and civic youth organization groups only. Family and individual camping is not available at this facility. Find private campgrounds for family and individual camping in Gettysburg by visiting Destination Gettysburg or reserve camping at Catoctin Mountain Park, Maryland, approximately 24 miles (38 km) from Gettysburg.
- Campers/recreational vehicles/buses are not permitted. All vehicles must remain in the parking area, not in the campsites.
- Generators are not permitted.
- Coal or charcoal cooking is not permitted. Propane and white gas only.
- Pets are not permitted.
- Alcoholic beverages are not permitted.
- Campsites are free. Reservation service fees of $9.00 for a web reservation or $10.00 for a call center reservation apply.
- Firewood is not provided by the park. Do not bring firewood from out-of-the-area. Please purchase your firewood in the town of Gettysburg before arriving at the campground. Firewood is available at Kennie's Market on Middle Street or Walmart on York Street.
- Don't Move Firewood: Help protect our forests! Prevent the spread of tree-killing pests by obtaining firewood at or near your destination and burning it on-site. Moving firewood is illegal in some states. Visit dontmovefirewood.org to learn more.
Gettysburg National Military Park, located in south central Pennsylvania, encompasses approximately 6,000 acres of farmland, pastures, woodlots and forests. Gettysburg's diverse landscape provides a noteworthy habitat for wildlife observation. During a typical day at the battlefield, visitors are likely to see white-tailed deer, red fox, squirrels, raccoons, red-tailed hawks, and numerous song birds.
Destination Gettysburg staffs a representative at the park's Visitor Center desk, or you can check their webpage at www.DestinationGettsyburg.com.
Recreational activities in Gettysburg National Military Park include hiking, biking, and attending a park ranger program. The Boy Scout Heritage Trail Guide book is available at the book store, and includes a stop at the Visitor Center/National Cemetery, two hiking trails through the battlefield at Gettysburg, a tour of historic downtown Gettysburg, and a tour of the Eisenhower National Historic Site. Bikes may be ridden on the park's tour roads; all riders under the age of 12 are required to wear a helmet.
1195 Baltimore Pike, Suite 100 Gettysburg PA 17325
For campground inquiries, please call: 717-334-0909
Learn more about gear rental options for your trip
The Visitor Center is located at 1195 Baltimore Pike, Gettysburg, PA 17325. McMillan Woods Campground is located at 71-120 West Confederate Avenue, Gettysburg, PA 17325.
- Site 006, Loop McMillan Campground, Type Group Tent Only Area Nonelectric
- Site 010, Loop McMillan Campground, Type Group Tent Only Area Nonelectric
- Site 005, Loop McMillan Campground, Type Group Tent Only Area Nonelectric
- Site 004, Loop McMillan Campground, Type Group Tent Only Area Nonelectric
- Site 007, Loop McMillan Campground, Type Group Tent Only Area Nonelectric
- Site 009, Loop McMillan Campground, Type Group Tent Only Area Nonelectric
- Site 001, Loop McMillan Campground, Type Group Tent Only Area Nonelectric
- Site 008, Loop McMillan Campground, Type Group Tent Only Area Nonelectric
- Site 002, Loop McMillan Campground, Type Group Tent Only Area Nonelectric
- Site 003, Loop McMillan Campground, Type Group Tent Only Area Nonelectric