The George Washington and Jefferson National Forests offer dozens of recreation areas for enjoyable day visits in Virginia and West Virginia. Individual passes may be purchased for six of the most popular sites – two with spectacular waterfalls and four tranquil lakes with swimming beaches.
• Cascade Falls in Giles County, VA: This area features shady picnic sites, a native trout stream, and a 4-mile scenic loop trail. The main attraction is the beautiful 66 foot Cascade Falls, a dramatic waterfall located two miles hike from the parking area.
• Crabtree Falls in Nelson County, VA: After enjoying a picnic lunch next to the creek, visitors enjoy a moderate 2.7 mile trail that offers scenic views of 5 major cascades falling a total distance of 1200 feet. Overlooks allow hikers to enjoy the beauty of the valley. The first overlook is a short distance from the parking area along a paved accessible trail.
• Cave Mountain Lake in Rockbridge County, VA: Nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountain, this area offers rustic beauty and peacefulness. Numerous picnic sites lie along a path through the woods which opens up onto a large open lawn and lake with swimming beach. Visitors also enjoy seeing the craftsmanship of a picnic pavilion constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps.
• Todd Lake in Augusta County, VA: This picturesque lake and beach have been a favorite of local residents for decades. It offers shady picnic sites, a volleyball court and horseshoe pit, and a changing house.
• Brandywine Lake in Pendleton County, WV: This are boasts a 10-acre lake with sand swimming beach, picnic sites and access to multiple hiking and mountain biking trails.
• Trout Pond in Hardy County, WV: This area boasts two beautiful lakes – Rock Cliff Lake with a swimming beach, picnic sites and lakeside hiking and angler trail, and Trout Pond, the only natural lake in West Virginia.
All visitors to George Washington & Jefferson National Forests must display a valid pass at day use fee sites where required. Choose your pass based on the site where you will be recreating. If purchasing your pass on-site, no printed copy of the pass will be available. Instead, your license plate number will be used to confirm compliance. If purchasing a pass in advance, a printed copy of the pass is recommended for your vehicle as connectivity is limited.
This pass does not guarantee parking availability. For your safety, please remember that parking outside of designated areas is discouraged and visitors who park illegally may be fined and towed. This pass is valid until sunset of the date listed on the pass, and only for the date and vehicle specified for this pass.Passes are non-transferrable, non-refundable, not replaceable if lost or stolen, and are void if altered or reproduced.