Slaughter Canyon Cave Tour
Carlsbad Caverns National Park Tours
- Moderately Strenuous: This tour will take you into an underground wilderness without electricity, paved walkways, or modern conveniences. The cave trails are narrow, uneven, and very slippery. In this wild cave, darkness is broken only by the flashlights and headlamps. Highlights of the tour may include the 89-foot high Monarch, one of the worlds tallest columns; the Christmas Tree, a sparkling, crystal-decorated column; and the Chinese Wall, a delicate, ankle-high rim stone dam. Old bat guano mining excavations attest to the human history and impact in the cave.
- To get to the cave you will follow the ranger in your vehicle from the visitor center. You must walk up a steep, rocky 1/2 mile trail from the parking lot. Temperatures outside can exceed 100 degrees F (38 degrees C) in the shade. Be prepared with water and sunscreen.
- Hiking boots or hiking shoes with good aggressive tread are required. Boots with zippers will not be permitted on the tour. No sandals, flip flops, tennis shoes, or similar footwear. You will not be allowed to participate in the tour if you are not wearing proper footwear—no exceptions.
- Helmets, headlamp and gloves will be provided. Backpacks, fanny packs, bags, and similar items are allowed while hiking to the cave entrance, but NOT allowed inside the cave.
- It is strongly recommended that you bring water and snacks for the trail, as well as a hat and sunscreen.
- Price: Adult: $15.00, Child: $7.50, Interagency Access Pass: $7.50, Interagency Senior Pass: $7.50
Select a date to see a list of times
Need to Know
- I have read and agree with the arrival time requirements for guided tours.
- Reserved tickets must be picked up no later than 30 minutes prior to the posted tour starting time. No refunds for late arrivals.
- Hiking boots or hiking shoes with good aggressive tread are required. Hiking boots with ankle support are recommended. No sandals, flip flops, tennis shoes, or similar. You will not be allowed to participate in the tour if you are not wearing proper footwear—no exceptions. Participants must also decontaminate their footwear before the tour. Tour leaders will provide the needed supplies.
- In an effort to keep the fungus that causes deadly White-nose Syndrome in bats out of Slaughter Canyon Cave, all participants are required to wear freshly laundered (clean) clothing on the tour. Even if the clothing has only been worn on another tour at Carlsbad Caverns National Park, the clothes must be freshly laundered. There will be no exceptions. Participants must also decontaminate their footwear before the tour. Tour leaders will provide the needed supplies.
- Visitor Center Hours—Winter hours are from the day after Labor Day through the Friday before Memorial Day weekend, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Summers hours are from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Participants are required to have a general entrance and a tour ticket.
- Long sleeves or a light jacket recommended.
- Children under eight years of age are not allowed.
- Prices for Inter-agency Senior and Access pass holders are for those pass holders only. All others must purchase a separate full priced tour ticket.
- Only very small fanny packs or very small camera bags are permitted on the tour.
- Accessibility—There is no handicap accessibility on this tour.
- Amenities—Restrooms are located in the visitor center and in the cavern Underground Lunchroom. There are no restroom opportunities during the tour. There is a restaurant in the visitor center as well as limited food available in the cavern Underground Lunchroom. Bookstore and gift shop are located in the visitor center. Kennel Services are available.