Natural Entrance Self-Guided Trail
Carlsbad Caverns National Park Tours
- Most of the cavern trail can be enjoyed on your won and included in your general admission fee.
- General admission tickets must be purchased at the park and are not reservable.
- Closed-toe shoes with good traction (e.g. lug soles) are recommended. Flip flops, sandals, and some walking shoes have little or no traction and increase the possibility of slips, trips, and falls. Watch your step and use the handrails when necessary.
- The trail, from the surface to the Big Room, has an 800 foot (244 m) elevation change. The average overall gradient is 20%, similar to walking into a steep canyon. Downhill seems easy, don't be fooled.
- This trail is NOT recommend for people with known heart or respiratory problems, back, knee or walking issues of any kind, or for people with vertigo or claustrophobia issues.
- This trail takes you into the Natural Entrance to the Big Room. It passes by the dark passage leading to Bat Cave, through the Twilight Zone and past countless fanciful cave formations. Highlights include Devils Spring, Whales Mouth, and Iceberg Rock.
- Strollers, walkers, and wheelchairs are not allowed on this trail.
- The Natural Entrance Trail closes earlier than the Big Room, check with a ranger on the day of your arrival for current times and find out how late you can hike in or out on this trail.
- Prices: Adult: $15.00, Child: 0-15: Free ALL visitors require general admission tickets.
Select a date to see a list of times
Need to Know
- Visitor Center Operational Hours: Winter hours are from the day after Labor Day until Memorial Day weekend, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Summers hours are from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Participants are required to have a General Admission ticket.
- Long sleeves or a light jacket recommended.
- Prices: Adults $15, Child 0-15 $0.00 Adult: 16 years and over. Child: 0-15 years.