Big Room Self-Guided Trail
Carlsbad Caverns National Park Tours
- Most of the cavern trail can be enjoyed on your own and included in your general admission fee.
- General admission tickets must be purchased at the park and are not reservable.
- Closed-toe shoes with good traction (e.g. lug soles) are recommended. Flip flops, sandals, and some walking shoes have little or no traction and increase the possibility of slips, trips, and falls. Watch your step and use the handrails when necessary.
- You can simply take an elevator ride from the visitor center directly to the Big Room Trail.
- This is the largest single cave chamber in North America, equal to an area of six football fields.
- The trail leads you through a myriad of awe inspiring, yet delicate cave formations. Highlights include the Lions Tail, Hall of Giants, Bottomless Pit, and Rock of Ages.
- Overall, this is an easy paved trail with a couple of areas that are moderately steep with handrails.
- Much of the Big Room Trail is accessible by wheelchair (not provided by park).
- If you prefer a shorter walk, you can take the shortcut route at the halfway trail which also bypasses the steeper inclines.
- Visitors may choose to hike from the moderately difficult Natural Entrance Trail into Big Room
- Prices: Adult: $15.00, Child: 0-15: Free
- ALL visitors require general admission tickets.
Select a date to see a list of times
Need to Know
- Visitor Center Operational Hours: Winter hours are from the day after Labor Day until Memorial Day weekend, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Summers hours are from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Participants are required to have a General Admission ticket.
- Long sleeves or a light jacket recommended.
- Prices: Adults $15, Child 0-15 $0.00 Adult: 16 years and over. Child: 0-15 years.