Thunder Ridge Campground, located above the Rampart Reservoir, is one of two campgrounds within the Rampart Reservoir Recreation Area. The campground overlooks the reservoir, which is popular for fishing. Boating and hiking are also common activities for campers here.
The campground is located on the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains, due north of the popular Pikes Peak. The peak has an altitude of 14,110 feet and is America's easternmost peak reaching over 14,000 feet.
Three campsites and two of the vault toilets meet current accessibility standards. Most remaining sites have steps that lead below the road level to the site picnic table and campfire ring. Drinking water is provided and each site comes with a picnic table and campfire ring. Firewood can be purchased on-site.
• Check-In time is 2 p.m. and check-out time is 12 p.m.
• SPECIAL NOTE: Colorado State regulations prohibit attaching hoses to hydrants to fill RV’s. Please come prepared.
•• Please check-in with host upon arrival.
• RV or trailers over 36 feet will have a very tough time making it through the campground because of tight corners and trees.
• All vehicles including campers must fit in parking spur (not on grass) without blocking road.
• Motorized and trailered boats may only launch on the reservoir Thursdays - Sundays from 7:00 am - 4:00 pm. All boats and trailers must be inspected for aquatic nuisance species prior to launching. Hand launched boats may launch from the boat ramp 7:00 am - 4:00 pm Sunday - Saturdays.
• Do not feed the wildlife. This includes bird feeders of any kind.
• Don’t Move Firewood: Protect your forests from tree-killing pests by buying your firewood locally and burning it on-site. Visit Dontmovefirewood.org for further information.
• 10 mph speed limit in all campgrounds and day use areas.
• Discharging any weapon is prohibited including paintballs, bow & arrow, BB guns, airsoft guns. Fireworks and explosives are prohibited. Target shooting is prohibited.
• Thunderstorms are common; take extra precautions for lightning.
• Be bear aware; keep all food out of sight in approved containers or locked inside your vehicle and remove all food from area after eating.
• This is a high elevation facility; please use caution when traveling from lower elevations.
• No horses allowed.
• ATVs prohibited.
• Click here for more information on Pike and San Isabel National Forests.
• USE OF DRONES PROHIBITED.
The campground overlooks the Rampart Reservoir in a ponderosa pine forest at an altitude of 9,200 feet. The surrounding terrain includes a mix of grass meadows, spruce, Douglas fir and aspen.
The U.S. Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs offers tours, and a visit to the quaint town of Green Mountain Falls makes a great day trip.
Rainbow and mackinaw trout are plentiful in the reservoir and hikers can enjoy the trails in the area. Rampart Reservoir Trail is nearby. Rampart Reservoir Trail extends for 14 miles and is open to hiking and mountain biking.
Individual Campsites: Cancellations up to 2 days before a reservation start date incur a $10.00 cancellation fee.
A visitor who cancels a reservation the day before or on the day of arrival will pay a $10.00 service fee AND forfeit the first night's use fee including tax and applicable add-on for a campsite.
Cancellations for a one-night reservation will forfeit the entire amount paid and will not be subject to an additional service fee.
A no-show visitor is one who does not arrive at a campground and does not cancel the reservation by check-out time on the day after the scheduled arrival date. Staff will hold a campsite until check-out time on the day following the arrival date.
No-shows are assessed $20.00 service fee and forfeit the first night's rate, taxes and applicable add-on for a campsite.
Visitors may submit a refund request through their Recreation.gov profile within 7 days of the end date of their reservation. Refunds will not be issued after the 7 days has ended.
Refunds for debit or credit card payments will be issued as a credit to the original bank or credit card used to pay.
For check or cash purchases, Recreation.gov will mail a Treasury check for refunds of cash, check, or money order payments to the address associated with the reservation. Treasury check refunds may take up to 6-8 weeks to arrive.
In the event of an emergency closure, the Recreation.gov team or facility manager will refund all fees and will attempt to notify you using the contact information within the Recreation.gov visitor profile.
601 S. WEBER COLORADO SPRINGS CO 80903
For campground inquiries, please call: 719-636-1602 (NO RESERVATIONS TAKEN AT THIS NUMBER. INFORMATION ONLY)
From the I-25 and Hwy 24 intersection in Colorado Springs, Colorado, travel west on Highway 24 for 17.4 miles to Baldwin St. in Woodland Park. Turn right (north) on Baldwin (which turns into Rampart Range Road). Travel approximately 3 miles to Loy Creek Road, turn right at the Y, and travel 1.5 miles to Rampart Range Road (Forest Road 300). Turn right (south) on Rampart Range Road. The Rampart Reservoir Recreation Area entrance is approximately 4 miles up the road on the left. Thunder Ridge Campground is approximately 0.7 miles on the left.