Thunder Ridge Campground, located above the Rampart Reservoir, is one of two campgrounds within the Rampart Reservoir Recreation Area. The campground overlooks the reservoir, which is popular for fishing. Boating and hiking are also common activities for campers here.
The campground is located on the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains, due north of the popular Pikes Peak. The peak has an altitude of 14,110 feet and is America's easternmost peak reaching over 14,000 feet.
Three campsites and two of the vault toilets meet current accessibility standards. Most remaining sites have steps that lead below the road level to the site picnic table and campfire ring. Drinking water is provided and each site comes with a picnic table and campfire ring. Firewood can be purchased on-site.
• Check-In time is 2 p.m. and check-out time is 12 p.m.
• SPECIAL NOTE: Colorado State regulations prohibit attaching hoses to hydrants to fill RV’s. Please come prepared.
• For cancellations before arrival, call reservations at 877-444-6777 (Toll-Free), 606-515-6777 (International), or 877-833-6777 (TDD) from 10 a.m. -- 12 p.m. (Eastern Time Zone)
• If campsite is not occupied within 24 hours of scheduled check-in time, it will be forfeited unless you contact RMRC at 719-687-7818 between 8 a.m. and 7 p.m. (Mountain Time). Do not call this number for cancellations or reservations.
• Please check-in with host upon arrival.
• RV or trailers over 36 feet will have a very tough time making it through the campground because of tight corners and trees.
• Limit two vehicles or one RV per single site. A $6 nightly extra vehicle fee will be collected for single sites with more than 2 vehicles if they fit in the parking spur.
• All vehicles including campers must fit in parking spur (not on grass) without blocking road.
• Motorized and trailered boats may only launch on the reservoir Thursdays - Sundays from 7:00 am - 4:00 pm. All boats and trailers must be inspected for aquatic nuisance species prior to launching. Hand launched boats may launch from the boat ramp 7:00 am - 4:00 pm Sunday - Saturdays.
• Do not feed the wildlife. This includes bird feeders of any kind.
• Don’t Move Firewood: Protect your forests from tree-killing pests by buying your firewood locally and burning it on-site. Visit Dontmovefirewood.org for further information.
• Maximum 14-day stay limit within 30-day period.
• 10 mph speed limit in all campgrounds and day use areas.
• Discharging any weapon is prohibited including paintballs, bow & arrow, BB guns, airsoft guns. Fireworks and explosives are prohibited. Target shooting is prohibited.
• Thunderstorms are common; take extra precautions for lightning.
• Be bear aware; keep all food out of sight in approved containers or locked inside your vehicle and remove all food from area after eating.
• This is a high elevation facility; please use caution when traveling from lower elevations.
• A $6 nightly extra vehicle fee will be collected for single sites with more than 2 vehicles.
• This facility has first-come, first-served sites.
• No hookups available.
• No horses allowed.
• ATVs prohibited.
• Click here for more information on Pike and San Isabel National Forests.
• USE OF DRONES PROHIBITED.
The campground overlooks the Rampart Reservoir in a ponderosa pine forest at an altitude of 9,200 feet. The surrounding terrain includes a mix of grass meadows, spruce, Douglas fir and aspen.
The U.S. Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs offers tours, and a visit to the quaint town of Green Mountain Falls makes a great day trip.
Rainbow and mackinaw trout are plentiful in the reservoir and hikers can enjoy the trails in the area. Rampart Reservoir Trail is nearby. Rampart Reservoir Trail extends for 14 miles and is open to hiking and mountain biking.
601 S. WEBER COLORADO SPRINGS CO 80903
For campground inquiries, please call: 719-636-1602 (NO RESERVATIONS TAKEN AT THIS NUMBER. INFORMATION ONLY)
From the I-25 and Hwy 24 intersection in Colorado Springs, Colorado, travel west on Highway 24 for 17.4 miles to Baldwin St. in Woodland Park. Turn right (north) on Baldwin (which turns into Rampart Range Road). Travel approximately 3 miles to Loy Creek Road, turn right at the Y, and travel 1.5 miles to Rampart Range Road (Forest Road 300). Turn right (south) on Rampart Range Road. The Rampart Reservoir Recreation Area entrance is approximately 4 miles up the road on the left. Thunder Ridge Campground is approximately 0.7 miles on the left.