Storm Mountain Day Use Area
Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest
Storm Mountain Day Use Area is just 3 miles up Big Cottonwood Canyon, conveniently close to Salt Lake City. Big Cottonwood Creek runs alongside the site. Visitors enjoy fishing, hiking and biking.
The picnic area contains four group sites and several single sites, most of which are accessible. All contain picnic tables and campfire rings. Some sites have grills and serving tables. A historic stone amphitheater is available for reservations.
Flush toilets are provided but picnickers must bring their own drinking water. Horseshoe pits are on-site. Roads, parking spurs and footpaths are paved. This picnic area is located in a watershed area and no pets are allowed.
Need to Know
Max Vehicle Length is the TOTAL length of the site. ( Max Vehicle Length - includes tow vehicle ).
For campground Rules and Regulations visit https://www.gocamputah.com/rules .
Please bring your own drinking water.
- There are no electrical, water, or sewer hookups available at this location.
This is a day-use area only; no overnight camping.
This is a watershed area; visitors will be fined for bringing domestic pets or livestock into the area.
Swimming and wading is not allowed due to culinary watershed restrictions.
No amplified music is allowed in USDA Forest Service campgrounds and facilities. People come to the campgrounds for peace and quiet.
Amphitheater can be reserved in three time blocks: Morning 8am-12pm (AMORN), Afternoon 1pm-5pm (AAFT) and Evening 6pm-10pm (AEVE).
Please understand that camping is an outdoor experience; therefore, we do not give refunds or credits for weather or natural conditions.
Click here for more info about the Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest.
For more information, please call Salt Lake Ranger District at 801-733-2660 or call Utah Recreation Company at 385-273-1100
Visit our webiste www.utahrecreationcompany.com or Facebook facebook.com/gocamputah
To reserve a campsite call Recreation.gov reservation line 1-877-444-6777
- Don't Move Firewood: Help prevent the spread of tree-killing pests in our national forests by obtaining firewood near your destination and burning it on-site. For more information visit dontmovefirewood.org.
Please note: Utah Recreation Company is not responsible for accident or injury to any person or property resulting from the use of this facility and is not responsible for the loss of money or valuables of any kind. The user of this permit assumes full and complete responsibility for the conduct and actions of all members in his or her party.
The picnic area is set among shady oaks and aspens at the foot of rugged Storm Mountain. Vivid summer wildflowers are abundant and autumn leaves put on quite a show.
Big Cottonwood Canyon is a beautiful area known for its soaring peaks, pristine hidden lakes and cascading streams. Numerous hiking and mountain biking trails are in the area. Rock climbing is a popular activity as well.
Solitude Mountain Resort is 10 miles up-canyon, offering scenic chairlift rides, hiking, a few dining options and a challenging 18-hole disc golf course.
Silver Lake is another mile past Solitude. Fishing and canoeing are popular activities. An easy trail loops around the small lake.
Big Cottonwood Creek flows through the area, offering trout fishing. Hiking and mountain biking are popular activities on canyon trails.
Changes & Cancellations
Change and Cancellation Policies and Fees
- Overnight and Day Use Facilities: To ensure fairness, reservation arrival or departure dates may not be changed beyond the booking window until 18 days after booking the reservation.
- Camping / Day Use: A $10.00 service fee will apply if you change or cancel your reservation (including campsites, cabins, lookouts, group facilities, etc.). The $10.00 service fee will be deducted from the refund amount.
- You can cancel or change reservations through Recreation.gov or by calling 1-877-444-6777.
- Overnight and Day Use Facilities: Late cancellations are those cancelled between 12:01 a.m. (Eastern) on the day before arrival and check out time on the day after arrival.
- Individual Campsites: If a customer cancels a reservation the day before or on the day of arrival they will be charged a $10.00 service fee and will also forfeit the first night's use fee (not to exceed the total paid for the original reservation). Cancellations for a single night's reservation will forfeit the entire use fee but no cancellation fee will apply.
- Cabins / Lookouts: Customers will be charged a $10.00 cancellation fee and forfeit the first night's use fee if a cabin or lookout reservation is cancelled within 14 days of the scheduled arrival date. Cancellations for a single night's use will not be assessed a service fee.
- Group Facility: If a customer cancels a group overnight facility reservation within 14 days of the scheduled arrival date they will be charged the $10.00 service fee and forfeit the first night's use fee. Cancellations for a single night's use will not be assessed a service fee.
- Group Day Use Area: If a customer cancels a group day use facility reservation within 14 days of the scheduled arrival date, they will forfeit the total day use fee with no service fee charge.
- Camping / Day Use: A camping no-show customer is one who does not arrive at a campground and does not cancel the reservation by check-out time on the day after the scheduled arrival date. Reserved campsites and group overnight facilities will be held until check-out time on the day following your scheduled arrival. Group day-use facilities will be held until check-in time on your scheduled arrival date.
- If a customer does not arrive at the campground or group facility by check-out time the day after arrival or does not cancel the reservation by the times listed under "Late Cancellations" above, the customer may be assessed a $20.00 service fee and forfeit use fees.
- Customers must request refunds no later than 14 days after the scheduled departure date. Recreation.gov will not grant refund requests after 14 days of departure.
- Reservation Fee: For some facilities, tours or permits an additional reservation fee is charged. For some overnight and day-use facilities, an additional non-refundable reservation fee may apply. The non-refundable reservation fee for tours and tickets is $1.00. The non-refundable reservation fee for permits varies by location.
- Refunds for Bankcard Purchases: Refunds for bank card payments will be issued as a credit to the original bank card.
- Refunds for Check or Cash Purchases: Refunds for Recreation.gov payments made by check or money order, and cash payments at selected campgrounds will be issued a check refund. A refund will be processed within 30 days of receipt and approval. Please Note: Refund requests made during or after departure can only be processed when approved by the facility management staff based upon local policy.
- Refunds for Emergency Closures: In the event of an emergency closure, the Recreation.gov team will attempt to notify users and offer alternate dates (as appropriate). If this is not possible, reservations will be cancelled and all fees paid will be refunded. Reservation fees for free tickets are non-refundable in the event of an emergency closure.
Recreation.gov Billing Information
- Reservation transaction will appear on customer's credit card statements as "Recreation.gov 877-444-6777."
Changes to Policies and Procedures
- Recreation.gov reserves the right, when necessary, to modify reservation policies. These policies were last updated July 2018.
564 W 700 S Ste.305, Box #5 Pleasant Grove UT 84062
Big Cottonwood Canyon Rd Salt Lake City UT 84121
For campground inquiries, please call: SALT LAKE RANGER DISTRICT OFFICE 801-733-2660 OR UTAH RECREATION COMPANY 385-273-1100
Learn more about gear rental options for your trip
From I-215, take the 6200 South exit and travel a mile east to Wasatch Blvd. Take Wasatch Blvd a mile south to junction with Big Cottonwood Canyon/Highway 190. Make a left at the junction and travel up Big Cottonwood Canyon 2.8 miles to the picnic area.
- Site 015, Loop Day Use, Type Picnic
- Site G1, Loop Group Site, Type Group Picnic Area
- Site 009, Loop Day Use, Type Picnic
- Site 003, Loop Day Use, Type Picnic
- Site AMORN, Loop Amphitheater, Type Group Picnic Area
- Site 005, Loop Day Use, Type Picnic
- Site G3, Loop Group Site, Type Group Picnic Area
- Site 006, Loop Day Use, Type Picnic
- Site 014, Loop Day Use, Type Picnic
- Site 010, Loop Day Use, Type Picnic
- Site 004, Loop Day Use, Type Picnic
- Site AAFT, Loop Amphitheater, Type Group Picnic Area
- Site 011, Loop Day Use, Type Picnic
- Site 007, Loop Day Use, Type Picnic
- Site 008, Loop Day Use, Type Picnic
- Site 013, Loop Day Use, Type Picnic
- Site AEVE, Loop Amphitheater, Type Group Picnic Area
- Site 002, Loop Day Use, Type Picnic
- Site 012, Loop Day Use, Type Picnic
- Site G2, Loop Group Site, Type Group Picnic Area