Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest
Bear Canyon Campground is situated on the boundary of the Mount Nebo Wilderness Area just off the Nebo Loop Scenic Byway at an elevation of 6,800 feet. Visitors enjoy hiking and fishing in this quiet canyon.
The campground contains three large group sites with picnic tables, serving tables, grills and campfire circles. Sites A and B can accommodate up to 75 people each; Site C can accommodate up to 50 people.
Vault toilets are provided. Roads, parking spurs and walking paths within the site are paved.
Need to Know
For campground Rules and Regulations visit https://www.gocamputah.com/rules .
No water available on site; drinking water is available at nearby Ponderosa Uinta Campground or campers can bring their own.
- There are no electrical, water, or sewer hookups available at this location.
Upon arrival, please check in with the host at Ponderosa Campground.
An additional fee will be collected on-site for extra vehicles (cash or check only).
Please understand that camping is an outdoor experience; therefore, we do not give refunds or credits for weather or natural conditions.
Click here for more info about the Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest.
For more information, please call Spanish Fork Ranger District at 801-798-3571 or call Utah Recreation Company at 385-273-1100
Visit our webiste www.gocamputah.com or Facebook facebook.com/gocamputah
To reserve a campsite call Recreation.gov reservation line 1-877-444-6777
- Don't Move Firewood: Help prevent the spread of tree-killing pests in our national forests by obtaining firewood near your destination and burning it on-site. For more information visit dontmovefirewood.org.
Thank you for making a reservation at Bear Canyon Campground! We would love to hear from you. How was your stay (experience)? Our online comment cards help us to easily communicate your valuable feedback to our management team while also saving paper. Please follow the link below to fill out the questionnaire. You can also scan the QR code located on the fee board when you arrive at your destination. You may not know that you do not need a QR scanner; simply take a picture with your phone and follow the instructions. Your phone should have a built in QR scanner. If not, you can download one from your app store. https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/4933946/Utah-Guest-Comment-Card
Please note: Utah Recreation Company is not responsible for accident or injury to any person or property resulting from the use of this facility and is not responsible for the loss of money or valuables of any kind. The user of this permit assumes full and complete responsibility for the conduct and actions of all members in his or her party.
Each campsite within Bear Canyon offers beautiful views of the surrounding Wasatch Range. Aspen and fir trees line the edges of the campground, which sits in a large grassy meadow. Few trees are located within the campsites, so shade is very limited.
The Mount Nebo Wilderness Area is adjacent, brimming with beautiful mountain scenery, pristine waters, abundant wildlife, vibrant summer wildflowers and numerous trail opportunities.
The Nebo Loop Scenic Byway stretches 37 miles through high alpine terrain, dense forests and colorful meadows. Devil's Kitchen Geological Area can be found along the loop, just 6 miles from Bear Canyon. It offers a 1/2-mile round-trip trail to interesting red rock hoodoos.
Salt Creek runs along the edge of campground, offering rainbow trout fishing. Bear Canyon Trail, for hiking, biking and horseback riding, begins at the campground entrance.
Changes & Cancellations
Change and Cancellation Policies and Fees
- Overnight and Day Use Facilities: To ensure fairness, reservation arrival or departure dates may not be changed beyond the booking window until 18 days after booking the reservation.
- Camping / Day Use: A $10.00 service fee will apply if you change or cancel your reservation (including campsites, cabins, lookouts, group facilities, etc.). The $10.00 service fee will be deducted from the refund amount.
- You can cancel or change reservations through Recreation.gov or by calling 1-877-444-6777.
- Overnight and Day Use Facilities: Late cancellations are those cancelled between 12:01 a.m. (Eastern) on the day before arrival and check out time on the day after arrival.
- Individual Campsites: If a customer cancels a reservation the day before or on the day of arrival they will be charged a $10.00 service fee and will also forfeit the first night's use fee (not to exceed the total paid for the original reservation). Cancellations for a single night's reservation will forfeit the entire use fee but no cancellation fee will apply.
- Cabins / Lookouts: Customers will be charged a $10.00 cancellation fee and forfeit the first night's use fee if a cabin or lookout reservation is cancelled within 14 days of the scheduled arrival date. Cancellations for a single night's use will not be assessed a service fee.
- Group Facility: If a customer cancels a group overnight facility reservation within 14 days of the scheduled arrival date they will be charged the $10.00 service fee and forfeit the first night's use fee. Cancellations for a single night's use will not be assessed a service fee.
- Group Day Use Area: If a customer cancels a group day use facility reservation within 14 days of the scheduled arrival date, they will forfeit the total day use fee with no service fee charge.
- Camping / Day Use: A camping no-show customer is one who does not arrive at a campground and does not cancel the reservation by check-out time on the day after the scheduled arrival date. Reserved campsites and group overnight facilities will be held until check-out time on the day following your scheduled arrival. Group day-use facilities will be held until check-in time on your scheduled arrival date.
- If a customer does not arrive at the campground or group facility by check-out time the day after arrival or does not cancel the reservation by the times listed under "Late Cancellations" above, the customer may be assessed a $20.00 service fee and forfeit use fees.
- Customers must request refunds no later than 14 days after the scheduled departure date. Recreation.gov will not grant refund requests after 14 days of departure.
- Reservation Fee: For some facilities, tours or permits an additional reservation fee is charged. For some overnight and day-use facilities, an additional non-refundable reservation fee may apply. The non-refundable reservation fee for tours and tickets is $1.00. The non-refundable reservation fee for permits varies by location.
- Refunds for Bankcard Purchases: Refunds for bank card payments will be issued as a credit to the original bank card.
- Refunds for Check or Cash Purchases: Refunds for Recreation.gov payments made by check or money order, and cash payments at selected campgrounds will be issued a check refund. A refund will be processed within 30 days of receipt and approval. Please Note: Refund requests made during or after departure can only be processed when approved by the facility management staff based upon local policy.
- Refunds for Emergency Closures: In the event of an emergency closure, the Recreation.gov team will attempt to notify users and offer alternate dates (as appropriate). If this is not possible, reservations will be cancelled and all fees paid will be refunded. Reservation fees for free tickets are non-refundable in the event of an emergency closure.
Recreation.gov Billing Information
- Reservation transaction will appear on customer's credit card statements as "Recreation.gov 877-444-6777."
Changes to Policies and Procedures
- Recreation.gov reserves the right, when necessary, to modify reservation policies. These policies were last updated July 2018.
564 W 700 S Ste.305, Box #5 Pleasant Grove UT 84062
Uinta Wasatch Cache National Forest Salt Creek Canyon Road Nephi UT 84648
For campground inquiries, please call: SPANISH FORK RANGER DISTRICT 801-798-3571 OR UTAH RECREATION COMPANY 385-273-1100
Learn more about gear rental options for your trip
From I-15, take Nephi exit 225. Travel about 5 miles east on Highway 132 to the Nebo Loop Scenic Byway. Turn left onto the byway and travel 3.5 miles to the Bear Canyon turnoff. Turn left. Bear Canyon Campground is located at the end of the road, just past Ponderosa Campground.