Eldorado National Forest
Situated on the north side of the Loon Lake Reservoir, Red Fir Group Campground offers a primitive group camping experience in the lush Eldorado National Forest.
The campground offers tent-only campsites, accommodating a group of up to 25 guests.
A group kitchen area is equipped with multiple tables, a campfire circle and grills. Accessible vault toilets and drinking water are provided.
Need to Know
- RVs are not permitted
- Don't Move Firewood: Protect California's forests from tree-killing pests by buying your firewood locally and burning it on-site. For more information visit firewood.ca.gov.
The campground is part of the Crystal Basin Recreation Area, situated at a 6,400-foot elevation and nestled in a forest of tall pine trees.
The campground is not far from the Desolation Wilderness.
The nearby lake provides fishing, swimming and boating, and the campground is just a short walk across the road to the water's edge.
Visitors also enjoy off-road vehicle and motorcycle riding on the popular Rubicon Jeep trail.
Hiking and wilderness backpacking are popular activities. Day permits are available at the nearby Loon Lake trailhead and overnight permits are available at the Eldorado Information Center.
Changes & Cancellations
- Recreation Fee: Recreation fees are the fees a visitor pays for things like overnight camping, a day-use pavilion, group facilities, a tour or a permit. Recreation fees vary by location and/or activity.
- Reservation Fee: A fee may be charged at the time a reservation is made to cover the cost of reservation services. This fee is in addition to the Recreation Fee and is non-refundable. Fees for camping, day use, group sites, cabins and lookouts: $8 if made on-line; $9 if made through the call center; $3 if made in-person.
- Change Fee: A service fee may be charged at the time a modification is made depending on the changes.
- Cancellation Fee: Customers who cancel a group overnight facility reservation less than 14 days before the arrival date will pay a $10.00 service fee AND forfeit the first night's use fee..
- Cut-Off Window: The latest date and/or time that you can make an advanced reservation or a change to an existing reservation. Cut-off windows can vary by location, but are typically 14 days before your arrival date.
- Late Cancellation: If you cancel your reservation too close to the start date, additional service fees may be withheld.
For campground inquiries, please call: 831-245-6891
Learn more about gear rental options for your trip
Take Highway 50 east of Placerville for approximately 21 miles to Ice House Road. At the river take a left and go north 28 miles, then veer right at the fork in the road and continue 9 miles to Red Fir Group campground.