Sierra National Forest
Kelty Meadow Campground is located in a mountainous area near Bass Lake. This horse-friendly camp is shaded by pine and cedar trees alongside Kelty Creek, with campsites wide and open enough to accommodate small horse trailers, slide-ins, tent trailers or tents.
Each campsite is equipped with a picnic table, campfire ring and grill. Some sites have hitching posts.
Vault toilets are available. Drinking water is not provided, but a stock water supply is available from the creek.
Notifications and Alerts
Need to Know
- In accordance with standard industry practices, Sierra Recreation will be assessing a $10 additional vehicle fee per day on the second vehicle in each single family campsite, and on the third and fourth vehicle in any double family campsite, provided these vehicles are not joined to the first vehicle by a hitch and towed onto the site. In the case of motorcycles, the first two are considered as one vehicle for determining additional vehicle fees. The third and fourth motorcycle would also be considered as one vehicle. No additional vehicle fees are collected for bicycles.
- Maximum vehicle size is 30 feet
- No off-road vehicles allowed in the campground
- This facility is operated by Sierra Recreation, A Division of California Land Management, and your comments are appreciated; comment forms are available from campground hosts or on CLM's website
- Click here for more information about Sierra National Forest
- Fire restrictions may be imposed at any time due to hot, dry weather conditions, at which time campfires and charcoal fires may not be allowed. For current fire conditions or weather closures contact the Sierra National Forest Headquarters, (559) 297-0706.
- No more than two pets per site
- Don't Move Firewood: Protect California's forests from tree-killing pests by buying your firewood locally and burning it on-site. For more information visit firewood.ca.gov.
The Sierra National Forest, located on the western slope of the central Sierra Nevada, is known for its spectacular mountain scenery and abundant natural resources. The terrain includes rolling, oak-covered foothills, heavily forested middle elevation slopes and the starkly beautiful alpine landscape of the High Sierra.
Kelty Meadow Campground is located in the Bass Lake Ranger District at an elevation of 3,400 feet. Bass Lake is a very popular area known for its variety of fish, as well as the bald and golden eagles that make their home here.
A trailhead for the Shadow of the Giants National Recreation Trail is a few miles south of the campground. This 1-mile interpretive trail gives visitors the opportunity to learn about giant sequoias that grow in this forest.
Visitors enjoy horseback riding on logging and forest roads in the surrounding area. Most other recreational activities in the area are centered around Bass Lake.
Bass Lake offers a beach and boat ramp. Popular activities include hiking, swimming, motorized boating, canoeing, kayaking, water skiing, sailing and fishing for bass, trout, bluegill and catfish.
For campground inquiries, please call: 559-642-3212
Learn more about gear rental options for your trip
Traveling north on Highway 41, approximately 3 miles out of Oakhurst, take Road 632
(aka Sky Ranch Road) 8 miles to the Y junction of 632 and 6S40. Stay left at the Y
and go 3 miles to Kelty Meadow Campground on the left
side of the road.
- Site 010, Loop AREA KELTY MEADOW, Type Standard Nonelectric
- Site 006, Loop AREA KELTY MEADOW, Type Standard Nonelectric
- Site 004, Loop AREA KELTY MEADOW, Type Standard Nonelectric
- Site 7-8, Loop AREA KELTY MEADOW, Type Standard Nonelectric
- Site 2-3, Loop AREA KELTY MEADOW, Type Standard Nonelectric
- Site FS2-30, Loop AREA KELTY MEADOW, Type Standard Nonelectric
- Site FS1-30, Loop AREA KELTY MEADOW, Type Standard Nonelectric
- Site 009, Loop AREA KELTY MEADOW, Type Standard Nonelectric
- Site 11-12, Loop AREA KELTY MEADOW, Type Standard Nonelectric