Rollways Campground is located 7 miles from Hale, Michigan along the beautiful AuSable River. The site was built in 1909 as one of the first campgrounds established in Huron National Forest. The space is small and secluded and features an observation area, picnic grounds and log shelter..
The facility is located just off the River Road National Scenic Byway in northeast Lower Michigan. The byway showcases incredible views of the AuSable River Valley.
The campground offers 19 pull-through campsites with picnic tables, a lantern post, grills, tent pads and campfire rings. At the picnic area, a log shelter, picnic tables and grills are available.
Vault toilets and drinking water spigots are dispersed throughout the campground and all roads and camping spurs are paved.
Your permit is subject to forfeit and a violation notice may be issued for failing to follow these rules:
• Occupancy limits apply to your site
• Keep all camping equipment and vehicles within your designated camp site. Keep all vehicles, trailers and RVs on camping spur.
• You must occupy your site within 24 hours of the start of your reservation. Contact the Forest Service to request a late arrival or your site may be forfeited.
• Quiet hours are from 10:00 PM to 6:00 AM, and keep noise reasonable all other times.
• Pets must be on leash or under voice command at all times.
• If potable water is available at your site, please be sure to wash your dishes and clothes away from the water source. If watering livestock or pets, please water them away from the water source. This will help protect the water source from contamination.
• Pack it in, pack it out. Leave the site clean for the next campers. Do not leave trash in fire rings, and do not burry or burn trash or recyclables.
• Be careful with fire. Do NOT leave hot campfires unattended. Make sure your ashes are cool to the touch before you leave.
• You may use downed wood for firewood. Keep fires within the fire ring.
• Fireworks and use of fireworks are NOT permitted.
• Do not tie/tack anything to standing trees, including (but not limited to) horses, pets, laundry lines, garbage bags.
• ORV’s may only be operated on trails signed as open for their use. ORV’s may not be used within campgrounds.
• Don't move firewood: To limit the spread of invasive tree-killing pests, firewood from outside the area is not permitted. Some states have quarantines and may confiscate your firewood. Please help protect our forests from invasive species by obtaining your firewood at or near your camping destination and burning it on-site. Visit dontmovefirewood.org for more information
• Other rules and regulations apply. For questions, late arrivals, or early departures please contact Lumberman’s Monument at 989-362-8961, or visit the Huron-Manistee National Forests website www.fs.usda.gov/hmnf.
Rollways is perched on a high bluff overlooking Loud Dam Pond on the AuSable River. The river flows from west to east for 138 miles until it reaches the great Lake Huron.
Follow the length of the 22-mile River Road National Scenic Byway, which parallels the AuSable River.
Hike on the accessible trail that connects the campground and picnic area to Westgate Scenic Overlook. Bring binoculars and a camera to take advantage of the epic view.
The same hiking path passes a stairway leading down to the river where visitors can fish and wade.
6260 Rollways Rd Hale MI 48739
From Hale, Michigan, travel 7 miles north on M-65. Turn left on Rollways Road and enter campground on the right.