Swan Guard Station
Flathead National Forest
Swan Guard Station is located next to beautiful Swan Lake, in northwestern Montana, where visitors enjoy all kinds of recreation. The fully restored historic cabin can accommodate up to eight people and offers somewhat modern amenities and plenty of space.
Guests are responsible for their own travel arrangements and safety, and must bring several of their own amenities.
The accessible cabin has beds and mattresses to accommodate up to eight people. It offers electricity, but no indoor plumbing. A propane heater provides heat in the living room.
A kitchen provides a refrigerator, sink, cooking range, and oven. It has ample cupboard space, as well as preparation and serving surfaces. A vault toilet and a hand-pump water system are available outside the cabin.
Guests will need to bring bedding, food, flashlights, a first aid kit and other necessary camping gear. The cabin will need to be cleaned and all trash carried out before leaving. Click here for more cabin details.
Need to Know
- A combination lock code will be contained in the reservation confirmation letter; confirm the code, prior to arrival, by calling the district office at (406) 837-7500. Please Do NOT go to the office to check in as this is located 45 minutes away from the cabin.
- Grizzly bears frequent the area; please store food, beverages, coolers and garbage inside the cabin at all times
- Please bring garbage bags; this is a 'pack-it-in, pack-it-out' facility
- This is a rustic cabin rental. While we have supplied the cabin rental with several amenities please realize this is not a hotel room or a vacation house rental. The cabin will not have all modern conveniences or comforts. We clean the cabins about once a week, which means we do not clean after every rental. Some renters are not as courteous as others and may leave the cabin less than spotless. Please take this into consideration when forming your expectations of the cabin rental.
- The porch, ramps, steps and roadways can be slippery when damp, or covered by snow or frost
- Please conserve propane and turn the thermostat to 55 degrees while away from the cabin
- Commercial use of cabin is prohibited
- Domestic pets are allowed; please be a responsible owner; clean cabin of dog hair and pick up waste
- Stock is prohibited
- Click here for more information on the Flathead National Forest
- Don't Move Firewood: Prevent the spread of tree-killing pests by obtaining firewood near your destination and burning it on-site. For more information visit dontmovefirewood.org.
The cabin is the oldest building in the Flathead National Forest. It was constructed in 1909 as a remote ranger station and has since been fully restored and reconstructed. It is located at the south end of Swan Lake, near the village of Swan Lake.
The nearby Swan River Wildlife Refuge provides abundant bird and wildlife viewing opportunities.
In addition to wildlife viewing, hiking and mountain biking trail access is nearby at Bond Creek Trailhead. Cross country skiing and snowshoeing are popular activities enjoyed by visitors during the winter.
The cabin is located just south of the town of Swan Lake, which offers opportunities for fishing, motor boating, non-motor boating, swimming and picnicking.
Swan Lake MT 59911
Learn more about gear rental options for your trip
From Bigfork take Hwy 83 south towards Swan Lake. Continue through the town of Swan Lake to mile-marker 69, just south of town. The cabin driveway is just south of the cabin rental sign. Continue down the driveway to the cabin with the porch.