Ponderosa Cove Campground
Eldorado National Forest
Ponderosa Cove greets group campers with shaded campsites close to scenic Stumpy Meadows Reservoir. The campground provides a pleasant destination for bird watching and nature viewing, in addition to activities at the lake.
The campground can accommodate up to 75 guests along a single loop of campsites. Five parking spurs can be used for RVs and trailers. Each of these spurs has a picnic table. Ten walk-to tent pads are provided, and parking for these requires parallel parking on the loop. Vault toilets and two water faucets are provided.
Need to Know
- Use only dead and down wood for campfires
- A per day fee for both pets and extra vehicles will be collected on site.
- A fee will be collected for campers and vehicles above the specified limit
- Click here for more information on the Eldorado National Forest
- Don't Move Firewood: Protect California's forests from tree-killing pests by buying your firewood locally and burning it on-site. For more information visit firewood.ca.gov.
Ponderosa Pine, the namesake of the campground, is known for its wonderful sweet vanilla aroma and its massive height. The campground sits east of the dam, just opposite the road from the Stumpy Meadows Lake, at an elevation of 4,400 feet. The lake sits in the foothills of the rugged Sierra Nevada high country of California.
In the Eldorado National Forest, the climate is similar to that of the Mediterranean with warm, dry summers and cold, wet winters.
Eldorado National Forest boasts over 400 miles of hiking trails, so hikers have plenty of options to explore. Take a drive on the El Dorado County Scenic Highway or visit the Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park.
Enjoy a picnic in the campground, or head to another picnic area at Stumpy Meadows Boat Ramp. The reservoir is great for swimming and fishing for brown and rainbow trout. Boating is also popular, but this is a no-wake lake.
Changes & Cancellations
- Recreation Fee: Recreation fees are the fees a visitor pays for things like overnight camping, a day-use pavilion, group facilities, a tour or a permit. Recreation fees vary by location and/or activity.
- Reservation Fee: A fee may be charged at the time a reservation is made to cover the cost of reservation services. This fee is in addition to the Recreation Fee and is non-refundable. Fees for camping, day use, group sites, cabins and lookouts: $8 if made on-line; $9 if made through the call center; $3 if made in-person.
- Change Fee: A service fee may be charged at the time a modification is made depending on the changes.
- Cancellation Fee: Customers who cancel a group overnight facility reservation less than 14 days before the arrival date will pay a $10.00 service fee AND forfeit the first night's use fee..
- Cut-Off Window: The latest date and/or time that you can make an advanced reservation or a change to an existing reservation. Cut-off windows can vary by location, but are typically 14 days before your arrival date.
- Late Cancellation: If you cancel your reservation too close to the start date, additional service fees may be withheld.
For campground inquiries, please call: 831-245-6891
Learn more about gear rental options for your trip
From Placerville take Highway 49N a half-mile and turn right on Highway 193 to Georgetown. Take a right on Main Street in Georgetown and drive about 14 miles to the campground. Ponderosa Cove is north of the Stumpy Boat Ramp.