The Chinquapin Group Campground is located at the former site of the Camp Oregon Caves Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp. During the Great Depression from 1933- 1941 the Camp Oregon Caves Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp was home to over 200 men who worked on projects in the Siskiyou National Forest and the Oregon Caves National Monument. Today, the only structure currently remaining at the site is the historic Grayback Ranger Station, constructed by CCC crews around 1936 and located immediately adjacent to the Chinquapin Group Campground. The large Port- Orford cedar tree located near the back of the parking area was dedicated in 2011 as the 56th Oregon State Heritage Tree and is a living reminder of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) and Camp Oregon Caves CCC camp. The large meadow at the Chinquapin Group Campground makes a great location for group events such as reunions, church camps, school field trips and scouting events. Water, picnic tables and fire rings are readily available at three locations in the campground and a restroom is located at the back of the parking area. Within a short walking distance there are swimming areas in Grayback Creek and creek side trails with meadows, marshes, spring wildflowers, wildlife and berry picking. No electricity is available at the Chinquapin Group Campground. Visitors can continue 10 miles east on Hwy 46 and visit Oregon Caves National Monument for a tour of one of the few marble caves in the world.
If you do not receive the gate lock combination, or don't see it on your reservation confirmation email, please contact Recreation.gov at (877) 444-6777 and a customer service representative will provide the combination over the phone.
No cell phone service at the campground.
There are dumpsters available for trash at the Grayback Campground located across the road.
The Grayback Interpretive #1204 follows Grayback Creek adjacent to Chinquapin Group Campground and is open to hikers who occasionally may use the toilet in the campground.
CHINQUAPIN GROUP CAMPGROUND 26568 REDWOOD HWY Cave Junction OR 97523
For campground inquiries, please call: 541-592-4000
From the Redwood Hwy (Hwy 199) in Cave Junction, turn east on Hwy 46 towards Oregon Caves National Monument. Continue on Hwy 46 for approximately 10.5 miles and just a quarter mile past the Grayback Campground on the left is Cedar Guard Station. Chinquapin Group Campground is located behind Cedar Guard Station and is accessed through the gate immediately to the right (east) of Cedar Guard Station.