John H. Kerr Dam and Reservoir
Buffalo Park is a small day use and campground park, located on John H. Kerr Reservoir. The campground is open May 1 - September 30. The Day Use Park is open year-around. Kerr, also known as Buggs Island Lake, is a 50,000-acre lake that extends 39 miles up the wooded, cove-studded shoreline of the Roanoke River in Virginia and North Carolina.
Kerr Reservoir was created with the construction of the John H. Kerr Dam in 1952. Its 800 miles of wooded shoreline stretch across six counties in two states and offer countless recreation opportunities for visitors.
Visitors to Buffalo Park will enjoy the lakeside views and the quaint park. The campground has 21 sites: 11 shady electric sites (1 is a double) and 10 primitive sites in an open field. Primitive sites are small and are open to walk-in campers. Two of the electric sites are paved and are accessible. Amenities include "family-style" individual restrooms with hot showers, sink and flush toilets. Park has a small dump station. Park has a swim beach, picnic shelter, and a boat ramp.
Need to Know
- Most campsites have gravel bases; bring padding for tents; all camping equipment must fit within the site perimeters
Check-in is at 4 p.m. and check-out is at 2 p.m.
Customers should not have packages or mail sent or delivered to Park. Mail and packages will be refused and returned to sender.
Off-road vehicles and golf carts are not permitted
Campsites with more than two vehicles will be charged an extra vehicle fee per vehicle per night
Alcoholic beverages are not allowed in the parks
Some campsites may be subject to weather-related flooding at certain times of the year; please call the visitors center prior to arrival to verify site status.
A day-use fee is charged to non-campers for using day-use facilites in the park.
Don't Move Firewood: Protect your forests from tree-killing pests by buying your firewood locally and burning it on-site. Visit Dontmovefirewood.org for further information.
Kerr Reservoir has approximately 48,000 acres of hardwood and pine forest and 50,000 acres of water. Buffalo Park has both shady sites and open field sites. The picnic shelter in the park has a spectacular view of the lake, where the Roanoke (Staunton) River meets the Dan.
Buffalo Springs Park is on the Virginia State and National Historic Sites, and is located approximately 7 miles from Buffalo Park. Once a world-renowned source of bottled lithia waters, the little park now offers a picnic pavilion and solitude. People still get their water from the fountain there.
Gas and groceries are available in Clarksville, Virginia, about 15 minutes away. Clarksville holds the distinction of being the only town on Kerr (Buggs Island) Lake.
Public lands around the lake are open to hunting with appropriate state licenses. Game species include whitetail deer, wild turkey, bobwhite quail, mourning dove, gray squirrel, cottontail rabbit, fox and raccoon. Resident waterfowl species include wood duck, black duck, mallard and Canadian geese.
The Army Corps of Engineers manages 26 Wildlife Management Areas around the lake that provide year-round opportunities for hiking, wildlife viewing, birding and more.
Kerr Lake is widely known for fishing, with large-mouth bass, striped bass, crappie and catfish caught. Fishing and hunting are regulated by the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries on the Virginia side of the lake.
Changes & Cancellations
- Changing Reservations:
- There is no change fee if a visitor extends or shortens a reservation, as long as the change includes dates from the original reservation. Additionally, there is no change fee if the visitor wants to switch sites that are the same price with the same reservation dates in the same facility.
- If a visitor wants to switch dates that are entirely outside of the original reservation dates, there is a $10 change fee.
- If a reservation is made that includes dates beyond the maximum booking window, that reservation cannot be changed until 18 days have passed from the original booking date.
- Once a reservation date has begun, visitors cannot change a reservation using the online system or through the Call Center. Onsite staff will assist with changes or cancellations.
- Visitors may cancel their reservation prior to arrival both on-line and through the call center. A $10 service fee will be withheld from any refund for a cancellation.
- A visitor who cancels a reservation the day before or on the day of arrival will pay a $10.00 service fee AND forfeit the first night's approved rate including tax and applicable add-on. Cancellations for a one-night reservation will forfeit the entire amount paid and will not be subject to an additional service fee.
- Visitors who cancel a group overnight facility reservation less than 14 days prior to arrival date will pay a $10 service fee AND forfeit the first night’s rate.
- A no-show visitor is one who does not arrive at a campground and does not cancel the reservation by check-out time on the day after the scheduled arrival date. Staff will hold a campsite until check-out time on the day following the arrival date.
- No-shows are assessed $20.00 service fee and forfeit the first night's rate, taxes and applicable add-on for a campsite.
- Early Departures:
- Visitors are requested to notify staff at the facility if they depart early to allow others to use the site.
- If the visitor chooses to depart early, they may forfeit the approved rate and applicable tax and applicable add-on for the day of departure. If a visitor departs prior to the scheduled check-out date, they may be eligible for a partial refund. Visitors may notify the Recreation.gov call center to request a refund of remaining unused nights. If a visitor requests a refund for an early departure after the facility check-out time (3 pm) has passed, the visitor will not be refunded for that night and is eligible for a refund on any additional nights that will not be used.
- Visitors may submit a refund request through their Recreation.gov profile within 7 days of the end date of their reservation. Visitors may also initiate a refund request through the call center at any time after their reservation has ended.
- Refunds for debit or credit card payments will be issued as a credit to the original bank or credit card used to pay.
- For check or cash purchases, Recreation.gov will mail a Treasury check for refunds of cash, check, or money order payments to the address associated with the reservation. Treasury check refunds may take up to 6-8 weeks to arrive.
- In the event of an emergency closure, the Recreation.gov team or facility manager will refund all fees and will attempt to notify you using the contact information within the Recreation.gov visitor profile.
VISITOR ASSISTANCE CENTER 1930 MAYS CHAPEL ROAD BOYDTON VA 23917-9801
For campground inquiries, please call: (434) 374-2063 IN SEASON ONLY. ALL OTHERS: (434) 738-6143
Learn more about gear rental options for your trip
The physical address for Buffalo Park is: 5199 Carter's Point Road, Buffalo Junction, VA 24529. It is located approximately 10 miles west of Clarksville, VA.
- Site 14, Loop LLOO, Type Standard Electric
- Site 05, Loop RLOO, Type Standard Nonelectric
- Site 10, Loop RLOO, Type Standard Nonelectric
- Site Buffalo Park Day Use, Loop Buffalo Park, Type Group Shelter Nonelectric
- Site 08, Loop RLOO, Type Standard Nonelectric
- Site 12, Loop LLOO, Type Standard Electric
- Site 18, Loop LLOO, Type Standard Electric
- Site 13, Loop LLOO, Type Standard Electric
- Site 07, Loop RLOO, Type Standard Nonelectric
- Site 11, Loop RLOO, Type Standard Nonelectric
- Site 19, Loop LLOO, Type Standard Electric
- Site 15, Loop LLOO, Type Standard Electric
- Site 21, Loop RLOO, Type Standard Nonelectric
- Site 22, Loop RLOO, Type Standard Nonelectric
- Site 01, Loop RLOO, Type Standard Electric
- Site 04, Loop RLOO, Type Standard Electric
- Site 09, Loop RLOO, Type Standard Nonelectric
- Site 06, Loop RLOO, Type Standard Nonelectric
- Site 02, Loop RLOO, Type Standard Electric
- Site 03, Loop RLOO, Type Standard Electric
- Site 17, Loop LLOO, Type Standard Electric
- Site 20, Loop RLOO, Type Standard Nonelectric