Smith Rapids Campground is located on the South Fork of the Flambeau River. With campsites designated to accommodate equestrians, it is an ideal location for horseback riding. Hiking, river fishing and canoeing are popular activities.
The campground offers single-family sites for tent and RV camping. Several of the sites have extra long parking spurs to accommodate horse trailers. Several sites are equipped with hitching racks. Tables and campfire rings are provided, as are vault toilets and drinking water.
At an elevation of about 1,500 feet, the campground provides shady, wooded sites. Smith Rapids is located on the South Fork of the Flambeau River, with a scenic view of Smith Rapids Covered Bridge. Constructed in 1991, the bridge is the only glue-laminated town lattice covered bridge in Wisconsin.
Park Falls, Wisconsin is approximately 17 miles from the campground and is a full service community.
The campground is specifically tailored to accommodate horseback riders, providing direct access to the 18.5-mile Smith River Saddle Equestrian Trail. The trails in the area are very rugged and have a limited maintenance schedule, but remain popular with equestrian riders and campers alike. The fast-flowing South Fork of the Flambeau River is popular among canoeists. A carry-down boat ramp is available at the campground. The river has walleye, smallmouth bass, redhorse, musky and northern pike. The campground is also in close proximity to the 70-mile Flambeau Trail System, open to off-road vehicles, hiking and mountain biking. The trail is highlighted by rolling terrain, tree-lined corridors, a wooden bridge and vistas overlooking various bogs and lakes. It is a popular snowmobiling location during winter months. Off-road vehicles are not permitted to operate in Smith Rapids Campground.
CHEQUAMEGON-NICOLET NATIONAL FOREST MEDFORD-PARK FALLS RANGER DISTRICT 1170 4TH AVE SOUTH PARK FALLS WI 54552
For campground inquiries, please call: 715-762-2461
From Fifield, travel east on State Highway 70 for a little more than 12 miles and turn left (north) onto Forest Service Road 148. Continue for 2 miles to the campground.