Sierra National Forest
Dirt Flat campground is situated on the north side of the Merced River. This small camp features walk-in tent sites on the river. The remote locates of the site makes for a quiet and peaceful camping experience.
The campsites at Dirt Flat meet accessibility standards and offer picnic tables, grills and fire rings. Vault toilets are available.
Notifications and Alerts
- Fire restrictions are currently in effect that prohibit charcoal fires, wood-burning camp stoves, and charcoal grills. Only gas or propane stoves are permitted.
- Our facility is currently experiencing a temporary water outage. Please bring all the water you’ll need for your visit, including drinking water.
You can find additional details on our website or contact the facility for more information.
Need to Know
- Please keep all food in bear-proof containers
- Be aware of rattlesnakes
- Poison oak is abundant throughout this area
- This camp is a pack it in and pack it out facility
- In accordance with standard industry practices, Sierra Recreation will be assessing a $10 additional vehicle fee per day on the second vehicle in each single family campsite, and on the third and fourth vehicle in any double family campsite, provided these vehicles are not joined to the first vehicle by a hitch and towed onto the site. In the case of motorcycles, the first two are considered as one vehicle for determining additional vehicle fees. The third and fourth motorcycle would also be considered as one vehicle. No additional vehicle fees are collected for bicycles.
- This facility is operated by Sierra Recreation, A Division of California Land Management, and your comments are appreciated; comment forms are available from campground hosts or on CLM'swebsite
- Click here to learn more about the Sierra National Forest
- Fire restrictions may be imposed at any time due to hot, dry weather conditions, at which time campfires and charcoal fires may not be allowed. For current fire conditions or weather closures contact the Sierra National Forest Headquarters, (559) 297-0706.
- Don't Move Firewood: Protect California's forests from tree-killing pests by buying your firewood locally and burning it on-site. For more information visit firewood.ca.gov.
The Sierra National Forest, located on the western slope of the central Sierra Nevada, is known for its spectacular mountain scenery and abundant natural
The terrain includes rolling, oak-covered foothills, heavily forested middle elevation slopes and the starkly beautiful alpine landscape of the High Sierra.
This campground is close to the west entrance to Yosemite National Park. Yosemite offers a variety of activities that include scenic driving, picnicking, hiking and fishing.
During the spring and early summer, the Merced River is a popular location for white water rafting and kayaking. Several private companies offer guided rafting trips.
INCLINE RD EL PORTAL CA
For campground inquiries, please call: 559-642-3212
Learn more about gear rental options for your trip
From Highway 140, turn on to Foresta Road. Landmarks include Red Bud Picnic Area and a National Park Service warehouse. After bridge, turn left onto the spur road. Immediately turn left onto Incline Road. Continue 1.5 miles to the facility.
- Site FT1-20, Loop AREA DIRT FLAT, Type Tent Only Nonelectric
- Site FT1-201, Loop AREA DIRT FLAT, Type Tent Only Nonelectric
- Site FT1-204, Loop AREA DIRT FLAT, Type Tent Only Nonelectric
- Site FT1-205, Loop AREA DIRT FLAT, Type Tent Only Nonelectric
- Site FT1-202, Loop AREA DIRT FLAT, Type Tent Only Nonelectric
- Site FT1-20N, Loop AREA DIRT FLAT, Type Tent Only Nonelectric
- Site FT1-203, Loop AREA DIRT FLAT, Type Tent Only Nonelectric