Eldorado National Forest
Capps Crossing is located on the North Fork of the Cosumnes River. The campground is located in a forested area and is well shaded during the day. Hiking trails and rock climbing areas are nearby.
Capps Crossing is a unique campground. It is designed for groups, by reservation, and can accommodate 42 people. When the campground is not reserved for groups, the individual sites may be used on a first-come, first-served basis. Individual sites are limited to one vehicle and six people.
Campsites 2-5 are for tents only and sites 1, 6, and 7 can fit RVs. Individual sites are arranged in a single loop that forms the group site.
Need to Know
- Bears frequent the area; all food must be kept in approved containers
- This facility has first-come, first-served sites when the campground is not reserved for a group
- A daily fee will be charged for pets
- Ten vehicles are included in the group site fee; a fee will be charged on site for additional vehicles
- Click here to learn more about Eldorado National Forest
- Don't Move Firewood: Protect California's forests from tree-killing pests by buying your firewood locally and burning it on-site. For more information visit firewood.ca.gov.
Capps Crossing sits at an elevation of 5,100 feet, in the shade of cedar and fir trees. A Mediterranean climate extends over most of the forest, creating warm, dry summers and cold, wet winters.
Visitors enjoy taking scenic drives to many overlooks in the area. Fishing, hiking, bird watching, and close proximity to off-highway vehicle routes are some of the attractions of Capps Crossing.
Wading is possible in the North Fork Cosumnes River. Fishing is an option and a good spot for swimming is nearby. While exploring the river, it's not uncommon to see people panning for gold. Gold-seeking hobbyists maintain the excitement of the old days of gold mining in the region.
Changes & Cancellations
- Recreation Fee: Recreation fees are the fees a visitor pays for things like overnight camping, a day-use pavilion, group facilities, a tour or a permit. Recreation fees vary by location and/or activity.
- Reservation Fee: A fee may be charged at the time a reservation is made to cover the cost of reservation services. This fee is in addition to the Recreation Fee and is non-refundable. Fees for camping, day use, group sites, cabins and lookouts: $8 if made on-line; $9 if made through the call center; $3 if made in-person.
- Change Fee: A service fee may be charged at the time a modification is made depending on the changes.
- Cancellation Fee: Customers who cancel a group overnight facility reservation less than 14 days before the arrival date will pay a $10.00 service fee AND forfeit the first night's use fee..
- Cut-Off Window: The latest date and/or time that you can make an advanced reservation or a change to an existing reservation. Cut-off windows can vary by location, but are typically 14 days before your arrival date.
- Late Cancellation: If you cancel your reservation too close to the start date, additional service fees may be withheld.
4260 EIGHT MILE ROAD CAMINO CA 95709
For campground inquiries, please call: 831-245-6891
Learn more about gear rental options for your trip
From Pollock Pines, take Sly Park Road (County E16) 4.3 miles south to Mormon Emigrant Trail. Turn left onto Mormon Emigrant Trail and drive 11.2 miles east to North-South Road. Turn right onto North-South Road and drive 7 miles south to the campground. The entrance to Capps Crossing will be on the left.
- Site 005, Loop AREA CAPPS CROSSING, Type Tent Only Nonelectric
- Site 002, Loop AREA CAPPS CROSSING, Type Tent Only Nonelectric
- Site 007, Loop AREA CAPPS CROSSING, Type Standard Nonelectric
- Site 010, Loop AREA CAPPS CROSSING, Type Standard Nonelectric
- Site CAPP, Loop AREA CAPPS CROSSING, Type Group Standard Area Nonelectric
- Site 006, Loop AREA CAPPS CROSSING, Type Standard Nonelectric
- Site 001, Loop AREA CAPPS CROSSING, Type Standard Nonelectric
- Site 003, Loop AREA CAPPS CROSSING, Type Tent Only Nonelectric
- Site 004, Loop AREA CAPPS CROSSING, Type Tent Only Nonelectric