Rio Grande Village Group Campground
Big Bend National Park
The Rio Grande Village Group Campground sits on the banks of the Rio Grande, the International Boundary between the United States and Mexico. The four group campsites are great options for groups of nine people or more and is one of the most popular campgrounds in Big Bend National Park. It is located close to Boquillas Canyon and Hot Springs, and acts as a launch point for visitors accessing the river or the endless miles of backcountry roads. Rio Grande Village has an outstanding view of the Sierra del Carmen Mountains, located in Mexico to the east, which light up with hues of red and orange during sunset.
The group campsites are tent-only; RVs and trailers are not allowed. There are no hook-ups available in the group sites and generators are prohibited. Each site is provided with a picnic table, charcoal grill and bear-proof food storage locker. All four group sites are within easy walking distance to water spigots and restrooms. Showers and laundry facilities can also be found close by at the Rio Grande Village Store.
Notifications and Alerts
- This location is closed. Affected reservations have been cancelled and refunds have been issued. Local managers are committed to the health and safety of recreational visitors and our staff. We are following the guidelines from our agency and the CDC regarding COVID-19, closely monitoring the situation and responding to current conditions. Please continue to monitor this page for status updates.
Due to Covid-19, Big Bend National Park is restricting all groups to no more than 8 people. For sites larger than that, the sites have either been closed completely, or the maximum number of people has been changed to 8. This change will affect all new reservations. We will contact existing reservation holders with groups of more than 8 people to discuss options in the coming weeks.
Need to Know
- There is only one authorized border crossing within Big Bend National Park, located at Boquillas Crossing, a five minute drive from this campground. Crossing the border in an unauthorized location is illegal.
- The group site is tent-only; no RVs or trailers allowed.
- Generators are not allowed in the group campground.
- There are no electricity, water or sewer hookups.
- Pets are allowed in each campsite, although they must be leashed and restrained at all times. Pets are not allowed on trails or in buildings.
- Javelinas, bobcats and bears frequent the area; all food must be kept in approved containers or in a hard-sided vehicle; trash must be disposed of in the animal-proof dumpsters provided; coolers or food boxes may not be unattended at any time.
- There is a MINIMUM of nine people are required to book these sites. Groups of fewer people will be required to move to a different site and the reservation will be cancelled.
- There is a base fee of $27 for up to (9) people. For reservations with 10 or more people, there is an additional fee of $3 per person per night up to the maximum number of people allowed on the site.
The mountain views, proximity to the river and shade from the surrounding cottonwood trees make Rio Grande Village Campground irresistible to visitors.
This facility is at an elevation of 1,850 ft. Because cold air tends to sink into lower valleys during the peak seasons of fall and winter, temperatures are cooler here than in other parts of the park during these times. However, temperatures from March to September can easily exceed 100 degrees Fahrenheit.
The river offers ample opportunities to explore its shores and water. The river put-in allows easy access to canoeing and kayaking on the river. Birders flock to the river banks to spot such rare and unique species often found only in Big Bend.
Hiking trails are also found nearby the campground and many backcountry roads are located near the campground.
P.O. Box 129 BIG BEND NAT. PARK TX 79834
For campground inquiries, please call: 432-477-1121
Learn more about gear rental options for your trip
From Interstate 10, take State Highway 385 south to Fort Stockton and into Marathon. From Marathon, drive 40 miles south on State Highway 385 to the north entrance of Big Bend National Park. Drive straight for 26 miles to Park Headquarters at Panther Junction. Turn left and proceed for 20 miles to the Rio Grande Village area. At the stop sign, turn right, then veer right for the group campground.