Dogwood Day Use
Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest
Dogwood Day Use Picnic Area is just 2 miles up Big Cottonwood Canyon, conveniently close to Salt Lake City. Big Cottonwood Creek runs alongside the site. Visitors enjoy fishing, hiking and biking.
Dogwood offers several group picnic sites, all with tables, campfire rings and grills. Parking spurs and pathways within the area are paved. Flush toilets and non-potable water are provided.
Need to Know
Max Vehicle Length is the TOTAL length of the site. ( Max Vehicle Length - includes tow vehicle ).
For campground Rules and Regulations visit https://www.gocamputah.com/rules .
Please bring your own drinking water.
- There are no electrical, water, or sewer hookups available at this location.
Wading and playing in the water is not allowed.
This is a watershed area; visitors will be fined for bringing domestic pets or livestock into the area.
- No amplified music is allowed in USDA Forest Service campgrounds and facilities. People come to the campgrounds for peace and quiet.
- This is a day-use area only; gates close at 10 p.m.
A per-day, per-vehicle fee will be collected on site for extra vehicles.
Rock climbers may walk though without paying fee as long as parking or picnic areas are not used.
Please understand that camping/picnicing is an outdoor experience; therefore, we do not give refunds or credits for weather or natural conditions.
Click here for more info about the Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest.
For more information, please call Salt Lake Ranger District at 801-733-2660 or call Utah Recreation Company at 385-273-1100
Visit our webiste www.gocamputah.com or Facebook facebook.com/gocamputah
To reserve a campsite call Recreation.gov reservation line 1-877-444-6777
- Don't Move Firewood: Help prevent the spread of tree-killing pests in our national forests by obtaining firewood near your destination and burning it on-site. For more information visit dontmovefirewood.org.
Please note: Utah Recreation Company is not responsible for accident or injury to any person or property resulting from the use of this facility and is not responsible for the loss of money or valuables of any kind. The user of this permit assumes full and complete responsibility for the conduct and actions of all members in his or her party.
In late spring, dogwoods and lilacs bloom throughout the day-use area, creating a spectacular show among the greenery and shade of the pines, aspens and scrub oak. Summer wildflowers paint the canyon with vivid color beginning in late July. Autumn leaves put on quite a show in late September.
Big Cottonwood Canyon is a beautiful area known for its soaring peaks, pristine hidden lakes and cascading streams. Numerous hiking and mountain biking trails are in the area. Rock climbing is a popular activity as well.
Solitude Mountain Resort is 11.5 miles up-canyon, offering scenic chairlift rides, hiking, a few dining options and a challenging 18-hole disc golf course.
Big Cottonwood Creek is stocked for trout fishing and is a favorite among local fly-fisherman. Additionally, many hiking and mountain biking trailheads are located in the canyon.
Changes & Cancellations
Change and Cancellation Policies and Fees
- Overnight and Day Use Facilities: To ensure fairness, reservation arrival or departure dates may not be changed beyond the booking window until 18 days after booking the reservation.
- Camping / Day Use: A $10.00 service fee will apply if you change or cancel your reservation (including campsites, cabins, lookouts, group facilities, etc.). The $10.00 service fee will be deducted from the refund amount.
- You can cancel or change reservations through Recreation.gov or by calling 1-877-444-6777.
- Overnight and Day Use Facilities: Late cancellations are those cancelled between 12:01 a.m. (Eastern) on the day before arrival and check out time on the day after arrival.
- Individual Campsites: If a customer cancels a reservation the day before or on the day of arrival they will be charged a $10.00 service fee and will also forfeit the first night's use fee (not to exceed the total paid for the original reservation). Cancellations for a single night's reservation will forfeit the entire use fee but no cancellation fee will apply.
- Cabins / Lookouts: Customers will be charged a $10.00 cancellation fee and forfeit the first night's use fee if a cabin or lookout reservation is cancelled within 14 days of the scheduled arrival date. Cancellations for a single night's use will not be assessed a service fee.
- Group Facility: If a customer cancels a group overnight facility reservation within 14 days of the scheduled arrival date they will be charged the $10.00 service fee and forfeit the first night's use fee. Cancellations for a single night's use will not be assessed a service fee.
- Group Day Use Area: If a customer cancels a group day use facility reservation within 14 days of the scheduled arrival date, they will forfeit the total day use fee with no service fee charge.
- Camping / Day Use: A camping no-show customer is one who does not arrive at a campground and does not cancel the reservation by check-out time on the day after the scheduled arrival date. Reserved campsites and group overnight facilities will be held until check-out time on the day following your scheduled arrival. Group day-use facilities will be held until check-in time on your scheduled arrival date.
- If a customer does not arrive at the campground or group facility by check-out time the day after arrival or does not cancel the reservation by the times listed under "Late Cancellations" above, the customer may be assessed a $20.00 service fee and forfeit use fees.
- Customers must request refunds no later than 14 days after the scheduled departure date. Recreation.gov will not grant refund requests after 14 days of departure.
- Reservation Fee: For some facilities, tours or permits an additional reservation fee is charged. For some overnight and day-use facilities, an additional non-refundable reservation fee may apply. The non-refundable reservation fee for tours and tickets is $1.00. The non-refundable reservation fee for permits varies by location.
- Refunds for Bankcard Purchases: Refunds for bank card payments will be issued as a credit to the original bank card.
- Refunds for Check or Cash Purchases: Refunds for Recreation.gov payments made by check or money order, and cash payments at selected campgrounds will be issued a check refund. A refund will be processed within 30 days of receipt and approval. Please Note: Refund requests made during or after departure can only be processed when approved by the facility management staff based upon local policy.
- Refunds for Emergency Closures: In the event of an emergency closure, the Recreation.gov team will attempt to notify users and offer alternate dates (as appropriate). If this is not possible, reservations will be cancelled and all fees paid will be refunded. Reservation fees for free tickets are non-refundable in the event of an emergency closure.
Recreation.gov Billing Information
- Reservation transaction will appear on customer's credit card statements as "Recreation.gov 877-444-6777."
Changes to Policies and Procedures
- Recreation.gov reserves the right, when necessary, to modify reservation policies. These policies were last updated July 2018.
564 W 700 S Ste.305, Box #5 Pleasant Grove UT 84062
Big Cottonwood Canyon Rd Salt Lake City UT 84121
For campground inquiries, please call: SALT LAKE RANGER DISTRICT OFFICE 801-733-2660 OR UTAH RECREATION COMPANY 385-273-1100
Learn more about gear rental options for your trip
Take exit 301 off I-15. Turn east and travel 6 miles on 7200 South to the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon. Travel 1.1 miles up Big Cottonwood Canyon to picnic area.
- Site 004, Loop DOGWOOD DAY USE , Type Group Picnic Area
- Site 002, Loop DOGWOOD DAY USE , Type Group Picnic Area
- Site 001, Loop DOGWOOD DAY USE , Type Group Picnic Area
- Site 006, Loop DOGWOOD DAY USE , Type Group Picnic Area
- Site 003, Loop DOGWOOD DAY USE , Type Group Picnic Area
- Site 005, Loop DOGWOOD DAY USE , Type Group Picnic Area
- Site 007, Loop DOGWOOD DAY USE , Type Group Picnic Area