Owl Creek Cabin
Flathead National Forest
Owl Creek Cabin is a rustic, single-room dwelling that can accommodate up to four guests. Horse campers enjoy the Owl Creek experience because a corral is available for use just 200 feet from the cabin. The corral may be reserved independently from the cabin by Clicking HERE
Same day reservations may be made by contacting the Swan Lake Ranger Station during business hours at 406-837-7500.
The cabin can be accessed by vehicle. Guests are responsible for their own travel arrangements and safety, and must bring several of their own amenities.
Owl Creek Cabin is a single-story structure with a covered front porch and an accessible entrance ramp. The 16-by-20 structure contains two bunk beds (4 total beds) with mattresses, a propane fireplace, electric lights, an electric cook stove with a small oven, as well as dining utensils and a reasonable assortment of cooking pots and pans.
The cabin is not equipped with running water, but from mid-May to mid-November, a potable water source is located just outside the front door. During the winter season, water is not available and guests will need to bring their own. An outhouse is available outside the cabin.
Guests will also need to bring their own bedding, food, flashlights and a first aid kit, among other necessities. Click here for more cabin details. Guests must clean the cabin and carry out all trash before leaving.
Need to Know
- Drinking water is only available from mid-May to mid-November; outside this time frame, guests will need to bring their own water.
- Grizzly bears frequent the area; use appropriate containers for food and garbage
- Pets are not allowed at the cabin; be aware there are stock users nearby
- Please bring garbage bags; this is a 'pack-it-in, pack-it-out' facility
- This is a rustic cabin rental. While we have supplied the cabin rental with several amenities please realize this is not a hotel room or a vacation house rental. The cabin will not have all modern conveniences or comforts. We clean the cabins about once a week, which means we do not clean after every rental. Some renters are not as courteous as others and may leave the cabin less than spotless. Please take this into consideration when forming your expectations of the cabin rental.
- Firewood is provided for heating purposes only; please replenish cut wood supply prior to departure
- Conserve propane by minimizing use of lights and turn the thermostat to 55 degrees while away from the cabin
- Contact the ranger district office at (406) 837-7500, during normal office hours (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) for updates on weather and road conditions; refunds will not be given for inclement weather or road conditions
- The cabin remains locked; a combination lock code will be contained in the reservation confirmation letter
- Guests must clean cabin prior to departure; a fee will be charged if extra clean-up is needed
- Commercial use of cabin is prohibited
- Click here for more information on the Flathead National Forest
- Don't Move Firewood: Prevent the spread of tree-killing pests by obtaining firewood near your destination and burning it on-site. For more information visit dontmovefirewood.org.
The cabin is located in Swan Valley, just south of Holland Lake, at an elevation of 4,200 feet. The building backs up to a stand of mixed conifers, including lodgepole pine and Douglas fir trees.
A general store is located about 20 minutes away, in the town of Condon.
Visitors to the area enjoy hiking and horseback riding on a variety of trails, some of which lead into the Bob Marshall Wilderness Area. The cabin in also about a half-mile from Holland Lake, which offers swimming, boating and fishing opportunities. In winter, cross country skiing, snowshoeing and snowmobiling are popular in the area.
200 RANGER STATION ROAD BIGFORK MT 59911
For campground inquiries, please call: 406-837-7500
Learn more about gear rental options for your trip
Owl Creek Cabin is located at the Owl Creek Packer Camp, about 4 miles off Montana State Highway 83 in the Swan Valley. From Highway 83 turn east onto Holland Lake Road #44 near mile marker 35. After 2.5 miles, turn right on Owl Loop Road #9558. Go about 0.5 miles and turn right on Road #10121 to Owl Creek Packer Camp. The camp entrance is located on the right. Turn here and continue straight through the camp, turn left at the end and drive past the corrals. The cabin is located near the end of this loop on the right, just past the last corral. There is no sign marking the cabin, but the rental is the only structure in the camp area.