Ponderosa Group Campground
Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest
Ponderosa Group Campground is located just off the Mirror Lake Scenic Byway at an elevation of 7,400 feet. The byway is part of the Uinta Mountains of northeastern Utah, which are known for their abundant recreational opportunities and scenic beauty.
Ponderosa contains one group site that can accommodate up to 100 people. It is equipped with large picnic tables and campfire circles. Smaller tables are scattered around the edges of the site.
Vault toilets are provided but campers must bring their own water and garbage bags. Access is via a short but steep, rough dirt road. Campers will find plenty of room for tents and smaller RVs or trailers.
Need to Know
Bring all the water you will need for your stay. There is no water available onsite. This includes water for drinking, cleaning, cooking, etc.
- There are no electrical, water, or sewer hookups available at this location.
This is a 'pack it in, pack it out' facility; please bring garbage bags.
This is the Ponderosa Group Campground on the Mirror Lake Scenic Byway above Kamas, Utah, not the Ponderosa in Spanish Fork Canyon.
Dirt access road is short but steep, rough and not advisable for larger RVs or trailers.
The gate to the campground is kept locked until the 2 p.m. check-in time; a second gate at the top of the hill must remain locked at all times; please see host at Yellow Pine Campground for assistance.
Please understand that camping is an outdoor experience; therefore, we do not give refunds or credits for weather or natural conditions.
Click here for more info about the Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest.
For more information, please call Kamas Ranger District at 435-783-4338 or call Utah Recreation Company at 385-273-1100
Visit our webiste www.utahrecreationcompany.com or Facebook facebook.com/gocamputah
To reserve a campsite call Recreation.gov reservation line 1-877-444-6777
- Don't Move Firewood: Help prevent the spread of tree-killing pests in our national forests by obtaining firewood near your destination and burning it on-site. For more information visit dontmovefirewood.org.
Please note: Utah Recreation Company is not responsible for accident or injury to any person or property resulting from the use of this facility and is not responsible for the loss of money or valuables of any kind. The user of this permit assumes full and complete responsibility for the conduct and actions of all members in his or her party.
Thank you for making a reservation at Ponderosa Campground! We would love to hear from you. How was your stay (experience)? Our online comment cards help us to easily communicate your valuable feedback to our management team while also saving paper. Please follow the link below to fill out the questionnaire. You can also scan the QR code located on the fee board when you arrive at your destination. You may not know that you do not need a QR scanner; simply take a picture with your phone and follow the instructions. Your phone should have a built in QR scanner. If not, you can download one from your app store. https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/4933946/Utah-Guest-Comment-Card
The campground is located on a forested hillside above Highway 150 and is quite secluded. Ponderosa pines tower over the site, offering nice shade. Sagebrush and summer wildflowers dot the landscape.
Mirror Lake Scenic Byway parallels the Lower Provo River as it snakes across a portion of the Uinta Mountains, leading to numerous high alpine lakes and streams, countless trails, breathtaking scenic viewpoints and various campgrounds.
Fishing, canoeing, hiking, backpacking, horseback riding and biking are popular activities. The High Uintas Wilderness can be accessed from several trails along the byway.
Numerous hiking, biking and horseback riding trails crisscross this beautiful region, including Yellow Pine, North Fork and Shingle Creek Trails, which all begin nearby. Off-road vehicle trails are in the vicinity.
The Lower Provo River is below the site and across the highway, offering good trout fishing.
Changes & Cancellations
Change and Cancellation Policies and Fees
- Overnight and Day Use Facilities: To ensure fairness, reservation arrival or departure dates may not be changed beyond the booking window until 18 days after booking the reservation.
- Camping / Day Use: A $10.00 service fee will apply if you change or cancel your reservation (including campsites, cabins, lookouts, group facilities, etc.). The $10.00 service fee will be deducted from the refund amount.
- You can cancel or change reservations through Recreation.gov or by calling 1-877-444-6777.
- Overnight and Day Use Facilities: Late cancellations are those cancelled between 12:01 a.m. (Eastern) on the day before arrival and check out time on the day after arrival.
- Individual Campsites: If a customer cancels a reservation the day before or on the day of arrival they will be charged a $10.00 service fee and will also forfeit the first night's use fee (not to exceed the total paid for the original reservation). Cancellations for a single night's reservation will forfeit the entire use fee but no cancellation fee will apply.
- Cabins / Lookouts: Customers will be charged a $10.00 cancellation fee and forfeit the first night's use fee if a cabin or lookout reservation is cancelled within 14 days of the scheduled arrival date. Cancellations for a single night's use will not be assessed a service fee.
- Group Facility: If a customer cancels a group overnight facility reservation within 14 days of the scheduled arrival date they will be charged the $10.00 service fee and forfeit the first night's use fee. Cancellations for a single night's use will not be assessed a service fee.
- Group Day Use Area: If a customer cancels a group day use facility reservation within 14 days of the scheduled arrival date, they will forfeit the total day use fee with no service fee charge.
- Camping / Day Use: A camping no-show customer is one who does not arrive at a campground and does not cancel the reservation by check-out time on the day after the scheduled arrival date. Reserved campsites and group overnight facilities will be held until check-out time on the day following your scheduled arrival. Group day-use facilities will be held until check-in time on your scheduled arrival date.
- If a customer does not arrive at the campground or group facility by check-out time the day after arrival or does not cancel the reservation by the times listed under "Late Cancellations" above, the customer may be assessed a $20.00 service fee and forfeit use fees.
- Customers must request refunds no later than 14 days after the scheduled departure date. Recreation.gov will not grant refund requests after 14 days of departure.
- Reservation Fee: For some facilities, tours or permits an additional reservation fee is charged. For some overnight and day-use facilities, an additional non-refundable reservation fee may apply. The non-refundable reservation fee for tours and tickets is $1.00. The non-refundable reservation fee for permits varies by location.
- Refunds for Bankcard Purchases: Refunds for bank card payments will be issued as a credit to the original bank card.
- Refunds for Check or Cash Purchases: Refunds for Recreation.gov payments made by check or money order, and cash payments at selected campgrounds will be issued a check refund. A refund will be processed within 30 days of receipt and approval. Please Note: Refund requests made during or after departure can only be processed when approved by the facility management staff based upon local policy.
- Refunds for Emergency Closures: In the event of an emergency closure, the Recreation.gov team will attempt to notify users and offer alternate dates (as appropriate). If this is not possible, reservations will be cancelled and all fees paid will be refunded. Reservation fees for free tickets are non-refundable in the event of an emergency closure.
Recreation.gov Billing Information
- Reservation transaction will appear on customer's credit card statements as "Recreation.gov 877-444-6777."
Changes to Policies and Procedures
- Recreation.gov reserves the right, when necessary, to modify reservation policies. These policies were last updated July 2018.
564 W 700 S Ste.305, Box #5 Pleasant Grove UT 84062
Sceinic Byway Highway 150 E Mirror Lake Hwy Kamas UT 84036
For campground inquiries, please call: KAMAS RANGER DISTRICT 435-783-4338 OR UTAH RECREATION COMPANY 385-273-1100
Learn more about gear rental options for your trip
From Salt Lake City, Utah, take I-80 east for approximately 30 miles to Exit 146 for Highway 40 toward Park City/Heber City/Vernal. Take Exit 4 onto Highway 248 toward Kamas. Take left onto UT 32 then right onto Highway 150 (Mirror Lake Scenic Byway). Go 5.7 miles to campground.
From Salt Lake City, Utah, take I-80 east for approximately 30 miles to Exit 146 for Highway 40. Go south on Highway 40 for approximately 13 miles and take left onto UT Highway 32. Stay on UT-32 for 16 miles (there will be a 4-way stop in Francis.) Take right onto Highway 150 (Mirror Lake Scenic Byway) in Kamas. Go 5.7 miles to campground.
From Provo, Utah, take Highway 189 thru Provo Canyon to Heber City. At the junction with Highway 40 in Heber, turn left and stay on Highway 189 thru town. At the north end of Heber, turn right onto UT Highway 32. Stay on UT-32 for 16 miles (there will be a 4-way stop in Francis.) Take right onto Highway 150 (Mirror Lake Scenic Byway) in Kamas. Go 5.7 miles to campground.
Watch for the sign and dirt road to the campground on your left.