South Dickey Lake is a popular group picnic area on the shores of beautiful Dickey Lake. It provides access to a grassy swimming beach. There are 5 day use sites, but only one site can be reserved. All other sites are first come-first serve.
The reservable group picnic area can accommodate up to 50 people and is equipped with two tables and campfire rings with grills. Accessible vault toilets and potable drinking water are also provided. The swimming beach is available for use, but is open to the public as well. This site is a day use area, open from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Overnight camping is not allowed. Visitors who wish to stay overnight can make reservations at North Dickey Lake Campground.
Office of the Governor, State of Montana - Guidance for Phased Reopening of Montana.
Phase Two: Increase in Permissible Group Size to Groups of 50
• Effective June 1, avoid gathering in groups of more than 50 people in circumstances that do not readily allow for appropriate physical distancing. It is recommended to continue to social distance in gatherings of any size.
• Groups larger than 50 people should be cancelled unless physical distancing can be maintained.
• If you are planning an event with more than 50 people you should consult with your local public health office on a plan to implement adequate social distancing.
• Consistent with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) guidelines, event cutoff threshold is at the discretion of community leadership based on current circumstances in your community.
• Physical distancing guidelines for groups and gatherings do not apply to household members.
• Effective July 15, Face coverings are required for any organized activity where social distancancing is not possible, or is not observed, sponsors shall require and take reasonable measures to ensure that all persons attending an organized outdoor activity wear a face covering that covers their mouth and nose at all times. Please visit the following website to learn more. https://news.mt.gov/governor-bullock-issues-directive-requiring-face-coverings-in-certain-indoor-spaces-and-outdoor-gatherings-to-prevent-the-spread-of-covid-19
Please visit the following website to learn more about the phased reopening.
Check in 10:00 am, Check-out 10:00 pm
Overnight camping is prohibited at this facility
The facility is located in northwestern Montana, next to 800-acre Dickey Lake. Larch and fir trees surround the lake and dot the landscape at the picnic area. It is situated at an elevation of about 3,100 feet. In the spring and early summer, the sound of the loon can often be heard from the beach.
The facility is 20 miles from the United States-Canadian border, and 65 miles from the entrance to Glacier National Park.
The lake provides ample opportunity for boating, fishing, swimming and water skiing. Anglers can expect a catch of kokanee salmon, kamloop and rainbow trout. A grassy lawn gently slopes down to the lake.
Eureka Ranger Station, 949 US Hwy 93 N Eureka MT 59917
For campground inquiries, please call: 406-296-2536
From Eureka travel South on Hwy 93 for approximately 20 miles. Take a left on Lake Shore road 3788 and follow for 2 miles to the day use site.