Arapaho & Roosevelt National Forests Pawnee Ng
Ansel Watrous Campground is located on the Cache la Poudre River, 22 miles northwest of Fort Collins, Colo., along Highway 14. Visitors enjoy the area for its great rafting, fishing and hiking opportunities.
The campground offers accessible single-family sites, each equipped with a 12-by-15 tent pad, a picnic table and a campfire ring with grill.
Vault toilets and drinking water are provided. Dead and downed firewood may be gathered in the forest or purchased from the campground host.
Notifications and Alerts
Due to wildfires at the end of the season, all Canyon Lakes Ranger District facilities are closed until after they are certified as safe for use next spring.
Day Use and Camping are open, but on a first come, first serve basis only. Come prepared to pay on site and also bring water. (No water on site due to the temperatures.) Reservations may be made for dates from May 21 forward.
Need to Know
- No RV water connections are available.
- This is bear country! For bear and human safety, keep a clean campsite and do not place food or other attractants in your tent. For more information about visiting bear country, contact Colorado Parks and Wildlife at http://wildlife.state.co.us
- The campground's lower loop is not accessible to trailers longer than 20 feet, due to a hairpin switchback near the campground entrance
- Drinking water is available at the campground until Sept. 28th each year.
- All sites are available on a first-come, first-served basis before and after the reservation season
- Click here for more information on the Arapaho and Roosevelt National Forests
- Operated by American Land & Leisure. You may contact us at www.AmericanLL.com or 801-226-3564.
- Come with your RV/trailer water tank filled. Filling at campground hydrants cross-contaminates the system and is not allowed.
- Don't Move Firewood: Prevent the spread of tree-killing organisms by obtaining firewood at or near your destination and burning it on-site. For more information visit dontmovefirewood.org.
- Sites 8,9,10 & 14 will only fit one vehicle. Two vehicles may fit on the other sites if you're tent camping.
- ONLY 8 people are allowed on each site. Check in with the host prior to setting up camp.
The canyon's vegetation varies from dense forests to open meadows and the campground is surrounded by steep mountains. The campground is situated among Ponderosa pines on the banks of the Cache la Poudre River, Colorado's first river designated as a National Wild and Scenic River.
The Cache la Poudre River offers whitewater rafting and fishing. Anglers cast for brown, cutthroat and rainbow trout, among other species of fish.
Hiking, biking and horseback riding trails are in the surrounding area, including the 4-mile Young Gulch Trail.
Other popular activities enjoyed by visitors to the campground include birding and wildlife viewing.
Changes & Cancellations
A $10.00 service fee will apply if you change or cancel your reservation. Late cancellations are subject to additional fees. For full details see NRRS Reservation Policy.
BELLVUE CO 80634
For campground inquiries, please call: 970-295-6700
Learn more about gear rental options for your trip
From Fort Collins, take Highway 14 northwest for 13 miles.
- Site 002, Loop UPPER, Type Standard Nonelectric
- Site 010, Loop UPPER, Type Walk To
- Site 011, Loop LOWER, Type Standard Nonelectric
- Site 008, Loop UPPER, Type Walk To
- Site 004, Loop UPPER, Type Standard Nonelectric
- Site 001, Loop UPPER, Type Standard Nonelectric
- Site 003, Loop UPPER, Type Standard Nonelectric
- Site 007, Loop UPPER, Type Standard Nonelectric
- Site 017, Loop LOWER, Type Standard Nonelectric
- Site 012, Loop LOWER, Type Standard Nonelectric
- Site 015, Loop LOWER, Type Standard Nonelectric
- Site 009, Loop UPPER, Type Walk To
- Site 016, Loop LOWER, Type Standard Nonelectric
- Site 006, Loop UPPER, Type Standard Nonelectric
- Site 014, Loop LOWER, Type Tent Only Nonelectric
- Site 013, Loop LOWER, Type Standard Nonelectric
- Site 005, Loop UPPER, Type Standard Nonelectric