South Branch Trail Campground Group Site is ideal for equestrian camping. The group area impresses with its beautiful scenery and convenient access to horseback riding and hiking along the 240-mile Michigan Shore-to-Shore Horseback Riding and Hiking Trail. Priority will be given to campers with horses, however everyone is welcome. The spacious site holds up to 250 campers and features a day-use horse parking area.
Facilities include at the South Branch Trail Campground Group Site include three sets of vault toilets, an electric water pump - which requires campers to furnish a 5,000 watt generator, one garbage bin and picket posts. Parking allows for up to 65 vehicles.
Your permit is subject to forfeit and a violation notice may be issued for failing to follow these rules:
• Occupancy limits apply to your site
• Keep all camping equipment and vehicles within your designated camp site.
• Keep all vehicles, trailers and RVs on camping spur.
• You must occupy your site within 24 hours of the start of your reservation. Contact the Forest Service to request a late arrival or your site may be forfeited.
• Quiet hours are from 10:00 PM to 6:00 AM, and keep noise reasonable all other times.
• Pets must be on leash or under voice command at all times.
• If potable water is available at your site, please be sure to wash your dishes and clothes away from the water source. If watering livestock or pets, please water them away from the water source. This will help protect the water source from contamination.
• Pack it in, pack it out. Leave the site clean for the next campers. Do not leave trash in fire rings, and do not burry or burn trash or recyclables.
• Be careful with fire. Do NOT leave hot campfires unattended. Make sure your ashes are cool to the touch before you leave.
• You may use downed wood for firewood. Keep fires within the fire ring.
• Fireworks and use of fireworks are NOT permitted.
• Do not tie/tack anything to standing trees, including (but not limited to) horses, pets, laundry lines, garbage bags.
• ORV’s may only be operated on trails signed as open for their use. ORV’s may not be used within campgrounds.
• Don't move firewood: To limit the spread of invasive tree-killing pests, firewood from outside the area is not permitted. Some states have quarantines and may confiscate your firewood. Please help protect our forests from invasive species by obtaining your firewood at or near your camping destination and burning it on-site. Visit dontmovefirewood.org for more information
• Other rules and regulations apply. For questions, late arrivals, or early departures please contact Lumberman’s Monument at 989-362-8961, or visit the Huron-Manistee National Forests website www.fs.usda.gov/hmnf.
Campsites are situated in a stand of oak and pine at an elevation of 880 feet. The campground is adjacent to the South Branch River and is also not too far from the AuSable River. The magnificent Lake Huron is only a short drive east of the campground.
Hike or horseback ride on the Michigan Shore-To-Shore Riding and Hiking Trail. The trail begins in the town of Empire near Lake Michigan, on the west side of Michigan and ends near Oscoda, Michigan on the Lake Huron eastern side of the state. The eastern part of the trail follows the historic AuSable River to its end in AuSable, just south of Oscoda.
5761 North Skeel Ave Oscoda MI 48750
South Branch Trail Camp is located in northeast Michigan. If traveling from the south, go US-23 north to M-65. Stay on M-65 north through the city of Hale. 6 miles north of Hale turn north on Rollways Road. Travel 3 miles to the campground entrance.