Wrights Lake Equestrian Campground
Eldorado National Forest
The Wrights Lake Equestrian Campground is available to visitors travelling with equestrian or packstock animals. The campground is situated near the Wrights Lake Campground in a grassy, open timber stand near the stream flowing from the spillway of Wrights Lake. The area is well-known for its vistas, hiking, wildflowers and birding.
The campground offers 15 campsites for tents or RVs with equestrians and other packstock. Each site is equipped with a table, campfire ring and grill; there are no hookups. Firewood can be gathered in the area. The campground has accessible vault toilets.
Need to Know
- One equine or other pack animal is required per site. Campers travelling without equine or packstock will be required to leave and no refund will be granted.
- Equestrians and packstock are only allowed in the Equestrian Campground and on trails marked for equestrian use.
- Bears frequent the area; use appropriate food containers.
- Cancellations must be made four days prior to the start of your reservation for a refund to be considered. Refund requests must be made through Recreation.gov; No refund requests will be processed on site.
- Additional fees apply for extra vehicles.
- Unreserved sites are available for walk-in camping.
- Call the Pacific Ranger Station for information about early season walk-in camping.
- Don't Move Firewood: Protect California's forests from tree-killing pests by buying your firewood locally and burning it on-site. For more information, visit firewood.ca.gov.
At nearly 7,000 feet in elevation, the campground is surrounded by a mixed conifer forest with a grassy understory. Large lodgepole and fir trees help shade the campsites. Wildflowers bloom throughout the spring and summer seasons. The campground is near Wrights Lake, a shallow 40-acre body of water popular for its serene and quiet atmosphere.
Barrett Lake 4WD trail is popular for both motorized and non-motorized recreation. Desolation Wilderness permits for day trips are available at the wilderness trailheads, and overnight hiking permits are available at the Pacific Ranger Station, or online .
The campground provides access to the stream and lake, where visitors enjoy trout fishing, swimming and paddling. Motorboats are prohibited in the area. Stock users will enjoy access to multiple equestrian trails providing enjoyable rides throughout the back country and Desolation Wilderness, but may not ride through the Wrights Lake Campground and Day Use areas. An equestrian trail map is posted in the campground. Educational programs are offered at the Wrights Lake Campground amphitheater.
Changes & Cancellations
- Recreation Fee: Recreation fees are the fees a visitor pays for things like overnight camping, a day-use pavilion, group facilities, a tour or a permit. Recreation fees vary by location and/or activity.
- Reservation Fee: A fee may be charged at the time a reservation is made to cover the cost of reservation services. This fee is in addition to the Recreation Fee and is non-refundable. Fees for camping, day use, group sites, cabins and lookouts: $8 if made on-line; $9 if made through the call center; $3 if made in-person.
- Change Fee: A service fee may be charged at the time a modification is made depending on the changes.
- Cancellation Fee: A $10 service fee will be withheld from any refunds for a cancelled reservation.
- Cut-Off Window: The latest date and/or time that you can make an advanced reservation or a change to an existing reservation. Cut-off windows can vary by location, but are typically 4 days before your arrival date. A customer who cancels a reservation the day before or on the day of arrival will pay a $10.00 service fee AND forfeit the first night's use fee (see Late Cancellation below).
- Late Cancellation: If you cancel your reservation too close to the start date, additional service fees may be withheld
WRIGHTS LAKE ELDORADO NATIONAL FOREST CA
For campground inquiries, please call: 530-644-2324
Learn more about gear rental options for your trip
From Placerville, CA: Travel US-50 east approximately 25 miles to Ice House Road. Turn north onto Ice House Road. Take the 1st right to stay on Ice House Road. Travel approximately 10 miles to the junction with Big Hill Lookout Road/Wrights Lake Tie Road. Turn right toward Ice House Reservoir on the Wrights Lake Tie Road. At approximately 1.2 miles, stay to the left. Travel another 1.7 miles, turn left. Continue approximately 6.2 miles to Wrights Lake Road (Wrights Road). Turn left and travel another 2 miles to the campground.
- Site 082, Loop EQUESTRIAN, Type Equestrian Nonelectric
- Site 079, Loop EQUESTRIAN, Type Equestrian Nonelectric
- Site 075, Loop EQUESTRIAN, Type Equestrian Nonelectric
- Site 073, Loop EQUESTRIAN, Type Equestrian Nonelectric
- Site 083, Loop EQUESTRIAN, Type Equestrian Nonelectric
- Site 070, Loop EQUESTRIAN, Type Equestrian Nonelectric
- Site 069, Loop EQUESTRIAN, Type Equestrian Nonelectric
- Site 072, Loop EQUESTRIAN, Type Equestrian Nonelectric
- Site 074, Loop EQUESTRIAN, Type Equestrian Nonelectric
- Site 071, Loop EQUESTRIAN, Type Equestrian Nonelectric
- Site 081, Loop EQUESTRIAN, Type Equestrian Nonelectric
- Site 077, Loop EQUESTRIAN, Type Equestrian Nonelectric
- Site 080, Loop EQUESTRIAN, Type Equestrian Nonelectric
- Site 076, Loop EQUESTRIAN, Type Equestrian Nonelectric
- Site 078, Loop EQUESTRIAN, Type Equestrian Nonelectric