Lyman Lake Campsites
Hiawatha National Forest
There are many campsites on the Munising and Rapid River/Manistique Ranger Districts of the Hiawatha National Forest. Many are located on inland lakes and are in a rustic forest environment with few to no amenities and no drinking water. The rustic environment offers a wonderfully serene and peaceful setting for your next camping experience. All of these sites are nestled in hardwood trees and pines. All of them are on small inland lakes, which offer a wide variety of fishing opportunities.
There is NO drinking water available.
Primitive toilets can be found at several of the campsites.
Lake Name: Lyman Lake
Number of Sites: 10
Maximum number of people per site:
- Sites 1, 7, 10 (8)
- Sites 2-4, 6, 8, 9 (16)
- Site 5 (24)
Toilets: Yes Sites 3,4,5,8, and 9
Boat Access: Back-In, Public access launch in-between sites 6 and 7
Lake Size (acres): 67
Need to Know
Lyman Lake has 10 campsites lining its shores, which can make this lake very busy! Each campsite has its own set of specific features.
Sites 2,3,5,8, and 9 all had rock work and split rail done to them to bring back the edges of the site.
- Site 1 is on a small, wooded area, 35 ft x 25 ft and has good road access. This site is suitable for one family and a small trailer. Access to the lake is steep, but a stairway is provided.
- Site 2 is a level area that measures 40 ft x 30 ft in size and is suitable for two families and trailers. Access to the lake is steep, but a stairway is provided.
- Site 3 is on an open area, 75ft x 70 ft and is suitable for two families with trailers.
- Site 4 is 40 ft x 40 ft and very wooded. This site can accomodate two families with trailers, but turn-around space is very limited.
- Site 5 is a large area that measures 75 ft x 50 ft. and has good road access. It is suitable for three families and trailers.
- Site 6 is a large area that measures 75 ft x 60 ft. The ground slopes, making it difficult for trailers. This site is suitable for two families. Turning radius is very limited.
- Site 7 is 45 ft x 35 ft and is on a slope. It is suitable for one family. Tents are recommended at this site.
- Site 8 is wooded, 55 ft x 35 ft, and is situated on a hill overlooking Lyman Lake. The site is level and suitable for two families and trailers.
- Site 9 is wooded, 80 ft x 40 ft and on a hill overlooking Lyman Lake. The site is level and suitable for two families and trailers. There is limited turn-around space.
- Site 10 is in a wooded area, 50 ft x 30 ft, and overlooks Lyman Lake. It is isolated from the other campsites and has a seperate access road. This site is suitable for one family.
There are a number of horse, bike, and hiking trails within minutes of several of the sites. In over a mile from these campsites, visitors can expect to find: bait shops, general and grocery stores, gas, a pay phone, trailheads, a fishing pier, biking, and kayak/canoe rentals.
Groceries, gasoline, fishing and camping supplies, ice and deli are available seven miles northeast on County Road 437 in the Thunder Lake area.
Visitors will be able to enjoy swimming, berry picking, and fishing at these campsites. Licenses are required for fishing in Michigan waters.
Lyman Lake supports a diverse fishery of bluegills, pumpkinseeds, rock bass, largemouth bass and northern pike. There is a back-in boat access, with parking, located between sites 6 and 7.
Swimming conditions vary based on site choice.
- Good swimming areas can be found at sites 2, 3 and 5.
- Sites 4 and 6 have fair swimming areas.
- Sites 1, 7, 8, 9 and 10 have poor swimming areas.
RAPID RIVER/MANISTIQUE RANGER DISTRICT 8181 US HWY 2 Rapid River MI 49878
For campground inquiries, please call: 906-474-6442 OR 906-387-2512
Learn more about gear rental options for your trip
Primary access is off Forest Roads 2218 and 2436, with secondary access depending on which site is chosen.
From the Intersection of US-2 and Forest Highway 13 (about 14 miles east of Rapid River): drive north 8.4 miles on Highway 13 to CR 442.
- Turn right (east) and drive 8 miles to FR 2218.
- Turn left (north) and drive 1.5 miles to the access to site #1.
- For sites 2-10: drive 1.4 miles from the intersection of CR 442 and FR 2218 to FR 2880. Turn right (east) and drive to the campsites.
- Site 010, Loop LYMAN LAKE CAMPSITE, Type Standard Nonelectric
- Site 001, Loop LYMAN LAKE CAMPSITE, Type Standard Nonelectric
- Site 003, Loop LYMAN LAKE CAMPSITE, Type Standard Nonelectric
- Site 009, Loop LYMAN LAKE CAMPSITE, Type Standard Nonelectric
- Site 008, Loop LYMAN LAKE CAMPSITE, Type Standard Nonelectric
- Site 004, Loop LYMAN LAKE CAMPSITE, Type Standard Nonelectric
- Site 006, Loop LYMAN LAKE CAMPSITE, Type Standard Nonelectric
- Site 005, Loop LYMAN LAKE CAMPSITE, Type Standard Nonelectric
- Site 007, Loop LYMAN LAKE CAMPSITE, Type Standard Nonelectric
- Site 002, Loop LYMAN LAKE CAMPSITE, Type Standard Nonelectric