Overlook Shelter (Brookville Lake)
The Overlook Shelter is located near the Brookville Lake Dam and the Visitor Center. Visitors enjoy this site for the breathtaking view of Brookville Lake and the Dam. Visitors also enjoy the accessibility of a short walk to the Brookville Lake Visitor Center on the Overlook Trail. Capacity for parking at this site is limited to 76 available parking spaces.
The Overlook is a day use area only. There is no camping allowed at this site.
The Overlook Shelter is located near a modern restroom. Electric plug-ins and a water spigot/fountain are available at the shelter There are two cooking grills and a popular playground spot near the site. By purchaisng a Special Activity Permit ($50) guests can also reserve the Overlook Pavilion for special events such as weddings.
Need to Know
- Absolutely no parking off road or pulling vehicles into the grass.
- All posted directional signs should be free standing and not attached to existing structures, signs, or trees.
- For any special requests, including reserving the Overlook Shelter, you should contact the Visitor Center at (765) 647-6701.
- Brookville Lake Visitor Center closes at 4:00 p.m.
- Weddings and other special events require a Special Activity Permit filled out and an additional $50. Please call the Army Corps of Engineers front office at (765)-647-6701 for additional information or to complete the Special Activity Permit.
- Under no circumstances will the Overlook area be closed or gated off. Full public access is still granted to amenities surrounding the shelter. The reservation only allows exclusive access to the shelter and (with special activity permit) the pavilion.
- If you are looking to camp, reservations can be made with three areas at Brookville Lake including Quakertown State Recreation Area, Mounds State Recreation Area, and Whitewater Memorial State Park online at https://indianastateparks.reserveamerica.com/welcome.do
The Overlook Shelter is located near the Brookville Dam. The view from the shelter is one of the best views in the state of Indiana. Visitors can enjoy a short nature hike to the Brookville Lake Visitor Center.
Brookville Lake offers 51 miles of hiking, excellent boating, water skiing, canoeing and kayaking. Brookville's recreation facilities include beaches, boat ramps, campgrounds, fishing piers, an 18- hole golf course, lodging, marinas, picnic areas, playgrounds, restaurants, shooting and archery ranges, and tailwater trout fishing.
Brookville Lake offers excellent boating, water skiing, canoeing, and kayaking opportunities. Canoeing, kayaking, and rafting are popular recreation activities in the Whitewater River located directly below the dam. Other recreation opportunities at the lake include hiking, swimming, camping, fishing, hunting, cabin and boat rentals, gun and archery ranges, and horseback riding. The Overlook shelter is located a short drive away from the Brookville Visitor Center which offers exhibits, history, and information about the lake and the Corps missions in the Ohio Valley.
10064 Overlook Road Brookville IN 47012
For campground inquiries, please call: (765) 647-6701
Learn more about gear rental options for your trip
From I-74 head west on Highway 52 for 15 miles to Brookville. Continue to State Route 101 North following signs to the Brookville Visitor Center for about a mile.
For GPS usage, physical address is 10064 Overlook Rd. Brookville, IN 47012