Site Second Creek, Loop Second Creek
Mammoth Cave National Park | Mammoth Cave Backcountry Camping
Type: HIKE TO
Enter dates to check availability
- Capacity/Size Rating: Single
- Check-Out: 11:00 AM
- Condition Rating: Good
- Water Hookup: No
- Pets Allowed: Yes
- Site Access: Hike In
- Check-In: 12:00 PM
- Location Rating: Good
- Shade: Yes
- Campfire Allowed: Yes
- Hike in Distance: 0
- Max Num of People: 8
- Min Num of People: 1
- Site Rating: Basic
- Is Equipment Mandatory: No
Need to Know
From the First Creek Trailhead, 3.0 miles on First Creek Trail, 0.2 miles on campsite spur. 3.2 miles
From Temple Hill Trailhead, 3.3 miles on First Creek Trail, 0.2 miles on campsite spur. 3.5 miles
- Be prepared: Take a first aid kit, flashlight, matches, water and appropriate clothing.
- Leave no trace, fires are permitted in designated campsites only. Carry all trash out of the backcountry and properly dispose of it. "Pack it in: Pack it out." Never bury trash.
- Water Source & Treatment: The park recommends carrying one gallon of water per person per day. There are few reliable water sources in the Backcountry. Many streams only flow during wet seasons or after a rain. Treat all water obtained in the backcountry before drinking, either boil it for at least one minute or use a high-quality water filter.
- There are two venomous species of snakes in the park, western diamond back rattlesnake and the copperhead. Use caution on trails and at night. Killing snakes is prohibited.
- Call 911 to report all accidents or emergencies.