Site 37, Loop BALSAM MOUNTAIN CAMPGROUND
Great Smoky Mountains National Park | Balsam Mountain Campground
Type: TENT ONLY NONELECTRIC
Enter dates to check availability
- Pets Allowed: Yes
- Shade: Yes
- Campfire Allowed: Yes
- Checkout Time: 12:00 PM
- Location Rating: Good
- Max Num of People: 6
- Site Rating: Standard
- Capacity/Size Rating: Single
- Checkin Time: 1:00 PM
- Min Num of People: 1
- Site Access: Drive-In
- Driveway Entry: Parallel
- Driveway Length: 31
- Is Equipment Mandatory: Yes
- Max Vehicle Length: 20
- Driveway Grade: Severe
- Driveway Surface: Paved
- Max Num of Vehicles: 2
- Min Num of Vehicles: 0
- Site Height/Overhead Clearance: 20
- Tent Pad Length: 11
- Tent Pad Width: 11
Need to Know
- Balsam Mountain Campground is CLOSED for the season from mid October until Memorial Day annually
Maximum total length for vehicles is 24' due to the narrow campground road
Only campers with slide outs on one side of the unit can camp in Balsam Mountain Campground due to parallel parking and the narrow campground road.
Some tent only sites are walk in only but maximum walking distance from car is 150'.
Sites listed with a moderate slope may not be suitable for RV's and trailers.
- A reservation is required to stay at Balsam Mountain Campground. Please make your reservation before driving to the campground as cell phone coverage in Great Smoky Mountains National Park is very limited and there are no provisions to make a reservation once you are at the campground. Reservations are site specific therefore you are REQUIRED to occupy only the site(s) for which you have reserved. To make changes to your reservation you must contact Recreation.gov at 1-877-444-6777 or field staff where available.
- Caution: Bears and other wildlife frequent the area. All food and equipment used to prepare and store food must be kept in a sealed vehicle or camping unit of solid, non-pliable material AT ALL TIMES when not in use. All scented items, as well as all water containers MUST be stored. Dispose of garbage promptly in dumpsters provided. Unattended or improperly stored coolers, food and/or scented items may be impounded by campground staff. Violators are subject to fines.
- Firewood Restriction: Only heat-treated firewood bundled in its original packing and bearing a certification seal from the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) or a state department of agriculture may be brought into the park. This rule is strictly enforced. Campers may also collect dead and down wood in the park for campfires.
- Access to this site is via several stone steps.