Site UGANIK LAKE CABIN, Loop UGANIK LAKE CABIN
Kodiak National Wildlife Refuge | Kodiak National Wildlife Refuge Cabins
Type: CABIN NONELECTRIC
Enter dates to check availability
- Num of Beds: 4
- Pets Allowed: Yes
- Bed Type: Bunk
- Max Num of People: 4
Need to Know
- Cabin Info....
- GPS Coordinates: 57.647976, -153.293062.
Beds: two bunk beds. Mattresses not provided.
- Storage Cache: separate building available for storing food and/or hanging game meat.
- Drinking Water: cabin is situated on a freshwater lake.
Heating: Nordic 250 oil drip stove; fuel consumption .08 - .26 gallons/hour.
Watch this operation video before your visit: Nordic Stove Operation
- Hunting: bear and deer.
- Fishing: excellent dolly varden fishing at both the outlet and inlet of the lake. Sockeye and chum salmon pass through the lake to spawn in the upper Uganik River during the summer months, as well as pink salmon which will spawn off the beach by the cabin. The lower Uganik River is one of Kodiak Island's most popular remote silver salmon sport fisheries; people often float the entire stretch of river in one or multiple days targeting silver salmon and/or steelhead.
- Lower Uganik River: walking from the cabin to the outlet of Uganik Lake is not recommended, as access is quite difficult. The walk is approximately 4 miles with no trails. A boat is recommended to access this area.
- Upper Uganik River: excellent access; less than 1/2 mile walk from cabin. Wide gravel bars along both the Upper Uganik River and East Fork Uganik River provide easy walking.
- Primitive Conditions: no electricity, plumbing, or cookstove. Outdoor pit toilet only.
- Access by float plane only. Cabin is 35 air miles from City of Kodiak (approximately 25 minute flight).
- November 1 - March 31: reservations discouraged due to the possibility of lake freeze up.