Site Summit Trail Shelter, Loop Summit Trail Shelter
White Mountains National Recreation Area | White Mountains National Recreation Area - Alaska Cabins
Type: CABIN NONELECTRIC
Enter dates to check availability
- Campfire Allowed: Yes
- Checkin Time: 12:00 PM
- Checkout Time: 12:00 PM
- Is Equipment Mandatory: No
Need to Know
- Recreation: The Summit Trail Shelter offers visitors a rustic shelter, beautiful scenery and an escape from the elements. The shelter was primarily designed for use by hikers and other non-motorized users in the summer months, however, it can be accessed in the winter by snowshoe or cross-country skiing.
- The shelter is primitive with no running water, no electricity and no cell coverage. There is no woodstove in the shelter though it is insulated and provides an escape from inclement weather.
- The Summit Trail Shelter is not accessible to motorized use in the summer or winter.
- Directions: From Fairbanks, AK, the most direct route is the Steese Highway to Fox, AK, and then the Elliot Highway to the Wickersham Dome Trailhead. Take the Summit Trail approx. 8 miles to the shelter.
- N65 16' 20.534", W147 58' 06.982"