Bureau of Land Management, California.
Open for day use only; no motorized vehicles or hang gliding; dogs must be on leash.
Point Arena -Stornetta Unit is administered by BLM's Ukiah Field Office and is part of the California Coastal National Monument which provides unique coastal habitat for marine-dependent wildlife and vegetation on more than 20,000 rocks, islands, exposed reefs and pinnacles along the California coastline, as well as 7,924 acres of public land in six onshore locations.
During the late 1800s, the town of Flumeville or Rollerville was located roughly at the intersection of Lighthouse Rd. and Highway 1. This small settlement helped move timber from the interior forests via the Garcia River with a system of flumes (trough-like channels filled with water), a narrow gauge railroad, and chute to sailing ships at Point Arena Harbor.
Cattle troughs, a milk barn, and road system from the early 1900s remain as evidence of dairy operations. Joseph Sheppard established a Jersey dairy farm on portions of this area in the late 1800s. Around 1924, A.O. Stornetta purchased the ranch from the widow of Joseph Sheppard. Stornetta was known for combining local dairy operations.
Point Arena Lighthouse Tower—1870
The original lighthouse tower in the year it was opened. Constructed of brick and mortar in 1869, the tower housed a First Order Fresnel Lens. The tower was 100 feet tall. The great earthquake of 1906 damaged the lighthouse beyond repair and destroyed the lens. It is speculated that the spiral staircase prevented the tower from collapsing. The original staircase is still in use today inside the second tower.
The Unit is home to nine special status species, including plants, mammals, birds, amphibians, fish and insects. Commonly seen marine animals include harbor seals seen loafing on the rocks and migrating gray whales.
From San Francisco
Follow US-101 to W Railroad Ave in Sonoma County. Take exit 479 from US-101(42.9 mi). Take Roblar Rd and Valley Ford Rd to CA-1 N (14.1 mi). Valley Ford Rd turns slightly left and becomes CA-1 N (70.1 mi). Turn left onto Light House Rd.