Payette National Forest
Usda Forest Service, Idaho.
So Much To Do & See
Come visit the Payette National Forest spring, summer, fall, or winter for a wide range of recreational activities during any of the four seasons. Hiking, fishing, camping, hunting, skiing, and snowmobiling. You can find a spot on the Forest to indulge your recreational interest. Click here for an in-depth look at the Payette National Forest's niche.
Be Careful With Fire! Campfire Podcast (transcript)
Some tips to help you enjoy your recreation experience...
- FIREWORKS are not allowed on the National Forest.
- Winter brings snow to the high country. Be AVALANCHE AWARE!
- When camping or picnicking, please keep your site clean, free from trash and food. Otherwise animals and insects are attracted to your site.
- Bag your trash and take it home with you. Help us keep our forests clean and green by "Packing It Out!"
- Never leave your campfire unattended. When you leave, put it out, dead out! See Forest Orders for any current fire restrictions.
- Human waste is a big problem when thousands of people converge on the Forest. Please see Leave No Trace - Dispose of Waste Properly for detailed instructions on handling this "delicate" situation.
Sharing the trail with horses
When encountering a horse on a trail, remember it is us humans who have control over our actions and the ability to communicate with each other. The horse can spook and take an action that may not be desirable. The best way to approach a horse is to STOP, Communicate with the Rider, and Move to the Side of the Trail.
Driving motorized vehicles on the Forest
Keep motor vehicles on designated routes and areas. If you plan on camping, driving off-highway vehicles, hunting, or exploring the backcountry, get a free Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM) to know which roads are open to motor vehicle use. Know before you go.
With your help, we can protect our natural resources for future generations. Thank you!
Camping and Day Use
Activities and Experiences
- Auto Touring
- Fire Lookouts/Cabins Overnight
- Horse Camping
- Horseback Riding
- Off Highway Vehicle
- Recreational Vehicles
- Wildlife Viewing
- Winter Sports