Fish and Wildlife Service.
"On January 6, 2009, President George W. Bush established the Marianas Trench Marine National Monument under the authority of the Antiquities Act of 1906. The Monument is managed by the Department of the Interior through the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, while consulting with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands, the Department of Defense, and the US Coast Guard. The Monument incorporates approximately 95,216 square miles within three units in the Mariana Archipelago (see map). The Mariana Trench Unit is almost 1,100 miles long and 44 miles wide and includes only the bottom lands, features, and resources, but not the overlying water column or its resources. The Volcanic Unit consists of the bottom lands, features, and resources in roughly 2 mile diameter circles, around 21 undersea mud volcanoes and thermal vents along the Mariana Arc. The Trench and Volcanic Units are managed as National Wildlife Refuges (Mariana Trench National Wildlife Refuge and Mariana Arc of Fire National Wildlife Refuge, respectfully). The Islands Unit includes the waters and submerged lands and resources around the three northernmost Mariana Islands, Farallon de Pajaros or Uracas, Maug, and Asuncion, below the mean low water line. The emerged lands of these islands are the jurisdiction of and managed by the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.
The Monument designation does not restrict recreational activities in the overlying water column of the Trench and Volcanic Units. To visit these units using deep sea submersibles or remotely operated vehicles requires a Special Use Permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
The Islands Unit of the Monument is closed to commercial fishing. The National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) is primarily responsible for managing fishery-related activities, and ensuring that sustenance, recreational, and traditional indigenous fishing are managed as sustainable activities."
Located in the Mariana Archipelago east of the Philippines.